Was April Fool's Prank funny?

Was SB April Fool's Prank 2007 funny?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
It's Passover dude, not Rosh Hashanah

My dear, are you admitting you don't understand the genesis of April Fool's Day?

Happy New Year!

OHGoDive:
So, what... you were merely expressing your disdain for infantile behavior, apropos of nothing?

I think that from the context, it follows quite logically.

Not at all. I find April Fool's Day ideally suited for small children. I out grew it. That's all I'm saying. It's kinda like watching football. Football is a wonderful sport, but I no longer watch it. I out grew it long ago. That doesn't mean if you continue to watch it I consider you infantile. Now if you paint your face and watch it half naked in the snow.............

piikki:
I was wondering about the same thing - whether the way you stumbled in had an effect on how you got suckered in. I did not recall it was 4/1, when I got up but I read the doody suit first. By the middle of the story it was clear what it was. Then I saw the a suspicious nickname come up a little later, and it was like 'aha, right, didn't we just turn a corner to April..."

I am not so sure if I would have immediately figured things out if I would have woken up to some odd PMs from 'characters' I recognize. (I still do not exactly know what the PMs were about). I don't work in computer world, so I am not savvy with all the trickery but I am suspicious enough. When I see eg emails with my name on them I usually approach with caution. It really surprised me people would not immediately suspect a scam.

Truly, that's the psychology of all this anyway. It's fascinating.

From what I've seen, a lot of people saw the "Embarassing Dive Buddy" thread first (I did... so, I know what that says about me). So, there you are, clicking on a thread which, by it's own title, is going to expose someone (who you most likely don't know) as, well, as an embarassment.

You're there because you like the idea that someone is going to be made fun of?

Or, if you went to Don's post, you're there to see Don embarassed? Or, to find out who his soulmate might be? A bit of morbid voyeurism, perhaps?

And then... after doing something, well, less than moral yourself, you want to take the high road and claim offense at someone for embarassing you!

Classic. It was truly a work of art.

Walter:
Not at all. I find April Fool's Day ideally suited for small children. I out grew it. That's all I'm saying. It's kinda like watching football. Football is a wonderful sport, but I no longer watch it. I out grew it long ago. That doesn't mean if you continue to watch it I consider you infantile. Now if you paint your face and watch it half naked in the snow.............

In your metaphor though, you describe football as a wonderful sport. And also separate spectators from those who participate.

But, say you defined football as an infantile activity, specifically. Wouldn't it then follow that those who actually participated in football were participating in an infantile behavior? Logically?

I can certainly see how someone might have misconstrued your words.

OHGoDive:
Truly, that's the psychology of all this anyway. It's fascinating.

From what I've seen, a lot of people saw the "Embarassing Dive Buddy" thread first (I did... so, I know what that says about me). So, there you are, clicking on a thread which, by it's own title, is going to expose someone (who you most likely don't know) as, well, as an embarassment.

You're there because you like the idea that someone is going to be made fun of?

Or, if you went to Don's post, you're there to see Don embarassed? Or, to find out who his soulmate might be? A bit of morbid voyeurism, perhaps?

And then... after doing something, well, less than moral yourself, you want to take the high road and claim offense at someone for embarassing you!

Classic. It was truly a work of art.

I imagined that this is how it was planted - the curious topics that people would click on. Then of course everything just took off and we had dozens of things ad nauseum but the originals seemed to stay on top because the way the topics were crafted...

OHGoDive:
But, say you defined football as an infantile activity, specifically. Wouldn't it then follow that those who actually participated in football were participating in an infantile behavior? Logically?

I don't see that.

Walter:
That doesn't mean if you continue to watch it I consider you infantile.

If anything, it sounds like he might consider face painting infantile, but that would be it.

I appreciate many different types of humor. The type of humor that gets laughs from making others feel stupid is not one I appreciate. If you do enjoy it, go ahead enjoy it. It's not for me. I've never tried to imply anything else in these discussions.

Happy New Year!

howarde:
I don't see that.

If I stated that an activity that you participated in was infantile, you would not see it that I was saying that you were participating in an infantile activity?

Interesting.

I suspect that many people would. But maybe that's just me.

OHGoDive:
If I stated that an activity that you participated in was infantile, you would not see it that I was saying that you were participating in an infantile activity?

Interesting.

I suspect that many people would. But maybe that's just me.
I don't know why you want to pick a fight with Walter, but please show where he specifically calls football infantile, or even implies it. Using the word in a sentence is not an implication, unless you are reading it wrong.

OHGoDive:
But, say you defined football as an infantile activity [?]
I can certainly see how someone might have misconstrued your words.

But he didn't "say" that and I can't understand how anyone might have misconstrued his words.

I try to be careful in what I say, but obviously I'm not always careful enough. If you feel I've called you infantile, that was not my intent. Please accept my apology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom