What's the coldest water you would dive in a 5 mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic:
I just purchased a 5 mm wetsuit (Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch), and I'm wondering... what is the coldest water that you've comfortably dove in a 5 mm wetsuit?

Now, I'm fully aware that each person is different, but I'm guessing, I could dive in 60 degree water and be fairly warm. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences! :D :blinking: :)

A 5mm suit not a semi-dry ?

I dove one in 20/21c and was frozen. My cut off would be about 22c (71f). Below that id want to layer a shortie on top. Below 20c or so seriously considering going dry.

I dive a 4/3 in the POOL!! :wink:

Anything below 70 and I want a drysuit. :wink:

Cheers,
Austin

I've done low 50s in a 5/4. It was cool, but acceptable (especially with my hands clasped around the base of my tank). I went down to the next terrace on the dam, which was somewhere down in the low 40s, and I could only stay there about two minutes. My hands and feet were stinging-burning from their inadequate exposure protection. I had a good hood, of course.

(I've also done mid-80s in the same 5/4, but when I was at the jetties in the upper 80s, it was too warm.)

On an ISOSAD dive, playing ScubUNO for hours, I'd draw the line at upper 70s for a 5/4. Any cooler and you breathe your air too fast to get in the deciding fifth round. :D

I did an ice dive in a Pinnacle 4/5 with a 3mm core warmer underneath. My hands were what got me out of the water, not my body. I was in for 20 minutes.

oh and the ice dive water temp was 38.

48 de. F for myself. Air temp about 38 de.F. wind at 10 mph = around 15 de. F +/- i quess.

In the water for about 45 min.

My suit 1 pc 5 mm scubapro with 5 mm shorty.

about 30 min into the dive started to get a little chill.

I know that others have questioned the wisdom of owning a 5mm, but for my tolerance to temperatures, I've found my 5mm (Henderson GoldCore) is almost the perfect suit.

Without hood and gloves, I've dove in Hawaii with 75-77 degree waters being very comfortable. Back on the boat, I have to strip off the top portion to prevent overheating, but in the water it was perfect. Even training dives in a 78-80 degree pool, I didn't find it too warm.

In North Carolina with 72-75 degree waters, adding a thin 1mm hood with 3mm gloves was refreshing.

For diving in the local quary, adding a 3/5 hooded vest (also a Henderson GoldCore), I've dove down past the thermocline into 49 degree water and found it very tolerable. My face was the only part that constantly reminded me that "Damn this water is cold."
However, I did notice that whenever I would stop to look at something for a bit or do some drills on the platform, I would start to get chilled throught he suit (mostly in my legs) until I'd start moving a bit more.

For me, the 5mm by itself is perfect in the low 70s. With the 3/5 hooded vest underneath, it is perfect in the mid 50s-low 60s.

That said, my wife and dive buddy whose tolerance is not quite the same as mine has given funding authorization when I graduate from a work-related course next April to purchase dry suits. Yes, the "which dry suit is best" threads are soon in the future for the collective wisdom of Scubaboard to assist with.

For what it counts,

Jan

For years I used just a farmer john style 5 mm suit (double layer around the core)for year round diving in Alabama quarries with full hood and gloves in the colder months, just the long sleeve shorty in the summer. Coldest water was around 37 degrees, it was a bit cool, but certainly survivable for a couple of hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom