Another sad scam........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know, I'd have to think long and hard to remember a time I was treated badly in Cozumel. Fer cryin' out loud, the kids on the street say hi to you! Service is fabulous. I want to live there! Mind you, I stay away from tourist traps and all-inclusive resorts.

Cozumel IS different from Puerto Valljarta (sp?) where we've also been a couple of times. Unlike Cozumel, yes, insistent people at the beach with time shares, yes children selling chicklets, yes cheap junk. Earphones, and/or sunglasses and/or hat over my face and/or pretending to be asleep usually makes them give up.

Nothing is perfect, and San Miguel should not be expected to be. Most of the cabbies are fine, but a few make me feel otherwise about them in general. And everyone has a bad day now and then; I was disappointed in one DM last trip - but didn't think much of it. I had a minor problem at one of my favorite cafes when the sign on the wall said 11 to 1 exchange for US dollars, but the waiter used 10 to 1 - I re-figured the check, subtracted his overcharge from 15%, left the rest and walked out. It takes a lot to get me to tip 20%!

Overall, it's a lot better town and Coz a lot better surface experience than it might be - really, I am impressed that they've maintained the charm with all those boats docking in addition to the regular tourism.

Gbrandons remarks were a little much for me, but everyone here has a right to differing opinions - his were withint the Tos.

And what is up with the avatars. Is it April 1 in The Netherlands already...?

I really dislike that Biancas might be really taking advantage of their wait staff. I always have a small problem when a restaurant adds a tip in for me . It is not a decision that the waiter is making so to be upset with him/her is silly. I have a huge problem when managment pockets that money and leaves the wait person empty handed.
As for those people, I find them to be kind friendly and helpful. It is always a pleasure for us to visit their island.
Thank you Betsy for filling us in.

Coz is the friendlies resort destination there is. The vast majority of the people are honest and happy to have you there.

I can relate one story that should illustrate the genial attitude of the people there.

My buddy had his car towed for parking in the cab area. We went to the police station and were treated with nothing but respect. He paid a small fine, much less than it would have been in the states, and we ask asked how to get to the impound lot. The sargent said hold on a second and we will get to you. About two minutes later an officer came to us and said he would take us to the car. We hopped in the back of a truck attracting stares and some jeers from people on the street as we drove through town. We were dropped off at the door of the car and departed with a handshake.

Just count your money, be attentive just like Betsy and you will have a great time.

i'm sure things happen, maybe i've been lucky.

as a diving destination cozumel of course is fantastic, but i think another reason i love the place and keep going back sometimes 2 or 3 times a year for the last 15 years is the PEOPLE. i feel at home and appreciated and have made many good close friends over the years.
i know bad things can and are going to happen but name me a place where things are perfect all the time, i generally feel safer in San Miguel than i do most of the time at home . i try to remember these folks are just trying to make a living and as long as they are being reasonable and fair, i have not had a problem yet. i hope that was an isolated situation, only expecting good things on my next trip...

diver88

Christi:
Very unfair and inaccurate.
Don't allow your bad experiences in other parts of Mexico or at the big resorts (where the poor employees have to deal with numerous rude, indignant, drunk, obnoxious tourists on a daily basis) taint your image of Cozumel. Notice I did NOT say that ALL tourists were this way, but they do in fact exist as do the polite, respectful, gracious tourists.

Agreed, Saying you cant trust any of them was wrong and I apologize. Im sure there are many honest people there as well, but it sure seems like people keep running across a unusual amount of bad apples.

Christi:
Yes, scammers and rude locals with a sense of entitlement exist, but people like that exist in every single town/city in the world. It is unfair to cast that gneralization on Mexico as a whole...particularly Cozumel which I still feel is a much gentler place than any other place in Mexico...despite the few bad seeds.

Cozumel may well indeed be better than the rest of mexico, but I travel on average 4-5 times a year across the world, and I have never felt more taken advantage of (or tried to) than in mexico. Ive yet to have anyone in mexico welcome me into their homes, where that is not true in the Philipines, Fiji, Central America, etc. In other countries, they seem genuine and appreciative that you are there. Even in the philipines, where the kids try to sell you dvd's or jewelry, one NO THANK YOU is plenty, and they are smart enough to remember you when they see you again and not bother you. Ive chatted with all kinds of people regarding both our cultures and they all seemed as interested in learning about ours as I did about theirs. Please show me where I find that in mexico, sans a tour guide.

Christi:
I guess based on your logic, I would have to say that all Americans are rude scammers too because I had a credit card stolen in California and then the hotel clerk treated me like a low-life because I didn't have a credit card to give them for incidental charges (I only traveled with one card). See how much sense that makes?

Nope, because in America (as well as other countries) even if someone tries to sell you something, or asks you for money, you can say no and they leave you alone. Can you tell me its the same in mexico? I dont think so. Im talking about people WANTING something for nothing or trying to get money out of you in unscrupulous ways. That was not the case for you when your credit card got stolen. Not saying they should have treated you bad because you didnt have a card, just saying they wanted payment for something due, without "hidden" charges.

Firefyter:
I've spent some time on Coz, and even more in the Riviera Maya area. It's been my observation that your attitude directly affects the way you're treated (which is as it should be!). I've watched rude, arrogant, obnoxious people get stonewalled by the locals, while people with a smile and a patient, friendly attitude are treated like kings. I've never had a single problem that wasn't corrected with a smile and a willingness to help, but then again I've never felt the need to be a jerk to them either. Why should they care if you obviously treat them with such low regard? I love that part of the world, and it would be fine with me if people just left their attitudes at home and learned to relax and stop demanding.......

What planet are you from? Where did I say I was rude? Where did I say i was demanding? lol, im about as low maintenance as they come. Ive slept in grass huts where the electricity goes off at night and there are no flush toilets, so I guess I cant be that demanding now can I? Maybe because I spoke of my own, as well as others experiences, you got all bent out of shape because someone badmouthed your favorite destination spot. When people here are concerned about the blatent rip off's, my friends experience it, and I experience it, maybe you should realize we all cant be rude, arrogant, obnoxious people. (your words) I really doubt my gf and her friend were demanding at lunch. She is the most non confrontational person you will ever meet. She was so embarrased when the waiter told her she didnt leave 20% she didnt even say anything to him, just looked away and walked off. I think most of us would have took the tip back and told him what 0% was.

Stine:
I was in Mexico in November and had no problems at all, nobody even offered me a timeshare!
Everyone was friendly, polite, willing to help when I didn't understand, etc! I never once felt ripped off or screwed over, and loved it so much I'm going back in May!

My fave part was how every single person would say Hola to me as I walked around the resort! The cleaning ladies, the construction crew, everyone! It made me feel safe and at home!

Mexico is AMAZING!:D

If this is my experience when I go next week Ill be sure to report back here and share it. Im glad you had a great time. I hope mine is great as well. I dont go on vacation to be miserable, as others on here suggest.

DandyDon:
Nothing is perfect, and San Miguel should not be expected to be. Most of the cabbies are fine, but a few make me feel otherwise about them in general. And everyone has a bad day now and then; I was disappointed in one DM last trip - but didn't think much of it. I had a minor problem at one of my favorite cafes when the sign on the wall said 11 to 1 exchange for US dollars, but the waiter used 10 to 1 - I re-figured the check, subtracted his overcharge from 15%, left the rest and walked out. It takes a lot to get me to tip 20%!

I think most meals for me , (for example lunch) are about $15-20 us, so I usually leave 4 or 5 bucks. I think thats fair and even if my lunch is under that Id leave $3 or 4 no matter what the charge. They spent time on you, and owning a service industry type business helps me understand how little my employees make compared to the bs they put up with. I probably give more than most, but to each their own.The problems you listed above, those are things that happen, and in no way reflect my experience on a trip. You have to adapt and expect things arent going to be perfect. A bad dm or bad service at dinner is one thing. Having people try to steal from you or pressure sales you is another. In my opinon, we shouldnt have to itemize the bill after every meal to make sure we arent getting screwed. We shouldnt have to pretend to be asleep in the lounge chair to make the hawkers go away, we shouldnt have to carry signs saying we are on vacation and to leave us alone. Those are all unacceptable things to have to do. But like I stated earlier, to each their own. i just feel that going to all that trouble is not worth the hassle and people should go try somewhere else for a change. That was my point in my post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom