ScubaPro Mk2/R190 at Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm taking my Nephew to Oahu this Thursday and will be loaning him my Mk25/S600 for the Trip. I also have a set of Mk2/R190 Regs, I was going to use for myself as these are the only other Yoke Regs I have(for pool use mostly). I think I saw another post that mentioned that the Mk2/R190's are not that great at depth? Any experiances with these, good or bad?

Ive had mine past 130 with no problems. It's a bullet proof setup.

I don't have the 190 but I use the MK2 on my deco tank. I have taken it down to 50 meters (165 ft) with no problems.

I wouldn't use em past 60ft. But others do.

I would use them if you don't need a lot of gas. As on a Rebreather

But, I have about 15 regs.

I also don't use MK25's or MK20's in cold water. I've never had a freeze but have seen way to many freeze.

Personally, I like a very high performance primary regulator. The Mk 2 R190 is not bad, but the max flow rate is 92 SCFM and with two divers on it at depth it would be possible to over breathe it.

I use the versions of it (Mk 3 and Mk 200) as deco regs, but by definition you can't get two peopel on the first stage at the same time - and I use higher performance Balance Adjustable second stages on them to reduce the inhalation effort well below what you have with an R190.

In short, if you are used to a MK 25 S600, the Mk 2 R190 will work but you will notice the difference and will appreciate getting your old reg back.

Mverick:
I wouldn't use em past 60ft. But others do.

I would use them if you don't need a lot of gas. As on a Rebreather

But, I have about 15 regs.

I also don't use MK25's or MK20's in cold water. I've never had a freeze but have seen way to many freeze.
Ummm, ya, BS! Here is a free ticket to the clue train for you.

DA Aquamaster:
Personally, I like a very high performance primary regulator. The Mk 2 R190 is not bad, but the max flow rate is 92 SCFM and with two divers on it at depth it would be possible to over breathe it.

I use the versions of it (Mk 3 and Mk 200) as deco regs, but by definition you can't get two peopel on the first stage at the same time - and I use higher performance Balance Adjustable second stages on them to reduce the inhalation effort well below what you have with an R190.

In short, if you are used to a MK 25 S600, the Mk 2 R190 will work but you will notice the difference and will appreciate getting your old reg back.
I tried my wifes MK25 with a S600 and I had to work at it. I played with it and it wa cranked all the way down. I just didnt see the $400 diff there. Stil I want one because its better!

I've had my MK2 down to 130ft with no problem whatsoever. Remember, a high performance 2nd stage on full free flow is still moving less than 90 SCFM. I noticed a big improvement in my MK2's performance after DA serviced it and set the IP a little on the high side, so that it falls through the mormal range as supply pressure drops.

I've also tried a balanced adjustable 2nd stage on my MK2, and was hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the MK15, in the conditions I dive in. (normal rec depths, not working hard, etc...) I would have no hesitation recommending a MK2 R190 to recreational divers. Two things about it are advantageous for new divers; 1st, the subtle increase in inhalation effort at low tank pressures can serve as a reminder to someone not paying attention to their SPG (or with a broken SPG) that it's time to head for the surface. 2nd, the MK2 is extremely reliable, and I'm sure that most of us would agree that reliability, not performance, is the number one safety factor for regulators. (Of course, most quality regs are pretty reliable!)

Wildcard:
Ummm, ya, BS! Here is a free ticket to the clue train for you.

Somehow I think they've revoked all your tickets to any trains because of you're stay in the nut house.

Why recomend a low end reg for deep diving? For my 60ft range gee isn't that openwater. Go to adv and have a better reg. If you haven't noticed a difference in a SP MK2/390 and a MK25/600 you ain't breathed off both of them at any depth or put 2 divers on one at depth.

Diving in your bathtub don't count.

Back
Top Bottom