Stage Bottle (AL or Steel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prthd9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a stage bottle and am planning on the 40Al, but then I saw a steel one. Is there really any need for steel stage bottle?

Most people don't like steel stage bottles because they are too negative. Relatively neutral tanks such as aluminum ones tend to ride better, not throw off your balance as much and not require insanely sized wings to compensate for the added weight.

The only steel tanks that I have seen that have the correct buoyancy characteristics are the Faber FXLP80s. Seems like they would make great stage bottles, but I haven't tried them for that yet.

~Jess

I know a few people that swear by steel 45s, but I haven't a clue what they see in them. IMHO, they're better suited to swearing at than swearing by. They're way too negative for my taste.

Steel makes sense in a cave where you will carry the bottle only a short distance and then drop it off, ready to retrieve it as you return to the exit, and just before you would need the decompression gas it contains. Steel cylinders used in this manner are usually low pressure cylinders and are often easier to fill with oxygen than the higher pressure aluminum cylinders.

Aluminum cylinders make more sense if you will carry the cylinder with you for the entire dive as has been stated above.

Mark Vlahos

Well, right now im using an AL80 for my stage bottle
1. They are neutral or slightly positive
2. They are alot cheaper
I also use AL 80's for Deco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom