Holbox whale shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I snorkeled with Whale Sharks last summer and am going back again this summer... and I recommend making a separate / additional trip to Holbox. It was spectacular.

I've added a couple of photos to my gallery. Feel free to take a look.

scubajoh44:
I did a great trip there last summer. It is all snorkeling only. We had to be at the shop at 4:00 a.m. but it was great. I even took my 11 year old and he loved it. WELL worth the money. Have fun!
Jo
Jo, at what shop at 4am? Did you leave Coz, travel to the north end of the peninsula, then take the boat out for hours, then go back go Coz all in one day? :11: Man, just doing the Cenotes that way killed me.
ladycute1:
I snorkeled with Whale Sharks last summer and am going back again this summer... and I recommend making a separate / additional trip to Holbox. It was spectacular.
Yeah, we're doing 3 nights there.
I've added a couple of photos to my gallery. Feel free to take a look.
Wow...!

Holbox004.jpg

Thank you all for your input, is very helpful and looks that is a 2 days 1 night trip.
I have another question, being a snorkeling only trip, are you allowed to have a pony bottle that will give you more time underwater? I will videotape the dive and having an air source will help me a lot.
Thank you
Paul

paulpost:
.... are you allowed to have a pony bottle that will give you more time underwater? ....
Paul

We were told no to any compress air-fear of driving off the whales by the sound of the bubbles was the explanation. Maybe this varies with operators but the rules looked like a standard guideline.

tim

bubba105:
I had read that there was no diving allowed at Holbox. Snorkeling wouldn't be bad but strapping on a tank would be a thing of beauty. Did you really dive?

It was snorkeling. The fish stay right at the surface and move WAY faster than you ever could, so you don't miss much by not having gas on your back. We kept hopping on the boat, circling around, and jumping back off in front of the sharks. Those things look like subway cars when they're heading for you.

We met at the shop in Cozumel early in the morning, took the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then a van to Cancun. There we got a very fast cigarette boat converted to a dive boat and motored at high speed to the vicinity of Holbox. It took quite a bit of time, but allowed for some interesting conversation on the way out and lots of napping on the way back. We were back in time for supper.

paulpost:
being a snorkeling only trip, are you allowed to have a pony bottle that will give you more time underwater?

That would be scuba, not snorkeling. Unless you have some way of hooking the pony up to a snorkel.

Look at the depth of the shark in the photo above. It was probably taken while breathing through a snorkel. At least, I've got some nearly identical except for murkier water. You won't need to be deep.

I stayed in Playa Del Carmen but we were transfered to Cancun to leave by high speed boat. We were back by 4:00. Here is the website I booked with. We are going again this year but I think we will use different people. That trip was too short. I'de like to stay in the water a little longer. This is a great trip for kids too!
www.Tours-Cancun.com

hey paul, we will run the whale shark trip from cancun this year, fast boats, great service and in only 45mins from cancun you ll be snorkeling with the sharks and mantas! holbox yes has more whale sharks, but also has a hell of a lot more boat traffic, our operation will head to isla contoy nature reserve, in 11 trips last year we found the sharks everyday, up to groups of 35+, giant mantas, dolphins, eagle rays, the full whack! you can check my web page below for more info, i hope you can read spanish though!, i ll have the english text up in a weeks time!
enjoy the season, it is the experience of a lifetime. look but dont touch

$160 for the whale shark tour, 8am board boats at punta sam, 9am, north side of isla contoy, 3hrs with the sharks and whatever else we come across, open bar, sandwiches and shrimp cerviche all day, boat tour of isla contoy nature reserve, tons of turtles, pink flamingos etc... snorkeling at reef (optional) back to cancun at 3pm for return transportation. its too easy! forget the bus to holbox at 4am, your on holiday!
check www.mayanaquadive.com for more info, right now its in spanish, next weekend in english, its a hot tour!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom