How many Scouts and Scouters are on ScubaBoard (Boy Scouts)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see...

Joined Cubs when I was 8 or 9.
Eagle Scout 1977.
OA Brotherhood.
Currently Cubmaster with one son a Webelos II and another a Bear.

Troop 55, Shelton Connecticut
OA Brotherhood 1992
Eagle Scout 1995
ASM 1996 - 1997
Now I have a daughter, and another girl on the way.... So now it looks like Girl Scouts are in the future. :)

Hi,
I am a new Cub Scout Den Leader this year. I would like to get my troop into Scuba, I've been certified for a couple of years now. The Cubs are 8-9 so they would have to be part of the seal team. I have not seen anything in any scout manuals about scuba, how would I go about finding out about getting my troop involed and winning patches they can wear proudly.
Thanks

DSimp:
Hi,
I am a new Cub Scout Den Leader this year. I would like to get my troop into Scuba, I've been certified for a couple of years now. The Cubs are 8-9 so they would have to be part of the seal team. I have not seen anything in any scout manuals about scuba, how would I go about finding out about getting my troop involed and winning patches they can wear proudly.
Thanks

Of course you're kidding, right? Cub scout policy expressly forbids scuba as inappropriate for this age. And Cub Scouts are "packs" not "troops".

DSimp:
Hi,
Thanks

I don't believe they can get a PADI junior certification until they are 10. They can get certified at a Boy Scout Camp at age 14. BSA just came out with a new scuba patch (not a merit badge) that covers introductory scuba skills. You can read the requirements at meritbadge.com. Once your guys are old enough, I recommend a trip to BSA's Florida Seabase (http://bsaseabase.org/) where they can go diving in the Keys for a week. I just returned from my second scuba trip there and it is particularly good for new divers.
Kevin

kkbiker:
I don't believe they can get a PADI junior certification until they are 10. They can get certified at a Boy Scout Camp at age 14. BSA just came out with a new scuba patch (not a merit badge) that covers introductory scuba skills. You can read the requirements at meritbadge.com. Once your guys are old enough, I recommend a trip to BSA's Florida Seabase (http://bsaseabase.org/) where they can go diving in the Keys for a week. I just returned from my second scuba trip there and it is particularly good for new divers.
Kevin

I have been out of scouting for about 8 years now. Son made Eagle, off to college etc.
Scouts, my son and his buddies, are what got me into diving. They wanted to do High Adventure and wanted to do Seabase. We got certified and then went down. We did four trips over four consecutive years.
As for age, unless they have changed BSA policy for SCUBA is 14.
Even though PADI has reduced its age requirement to 10, I believe BSA has kept the 14. The main idea is that it is reserved for the older boys. It gives them something to look foward to doing that they younger boys cannot. It IS High Adventure!

DEEPLOU:
As for age, unless they have changed BSA policy for SCUBA is 14.
Even though PADI has reduced its age requirement to 10, I believe BSA has kept the 14. The main idea is that it is reserved for the older boys. It gives them something to look foward to doing that they younger boys cannot. It IS High Adventure!

BSA did just that in the last two years...

Boy Scouts can do "Scuba BSA" which is a kind of discover scuba experience in confined water. Any boy scout (10.5 and up) can do this. Nifty patch for it too. Troops can participate in Scuba programs at summer camp and at Sea Base, but cannot persue certification in the troop....

Venturers can persue Scuba Certification. There the age limit remains 14.

See the Guide to Safe Scouting for more details...

Scuba BSA requirements: http://www.meritbadge.com/awd/scuba.htm
Scuba BSA flyer (PDF): http://www.meritbadge.com/files/scubabsa.pdf

Ha, I joined ScubaBoard.com just so that I could reply to this excellent thread.

PADI certified through BSA, 1986, Troop 315, Rainbow Council, Kankakee Trail District, Ilinois. Sr Patrol Leader, Eagle, OA, Junior Assistance Scoutmaster, Retired.

lol, where else would I be able to share these kind of credentials but on a dive board? Amazing!

I wasn't a scout but have been active with my son since he was a tiger (now ASM for his troop). Now he's a Star scout at age 13 and has been diving since 10. According to the office downtown, he was the first one in Indiana to get his scuba patch a couple of years ago.

Cross Roads of America Council
Del Mi district
Troop 120

I've been a member of scuba board for a bit of time now and just noticed this Scouting forum.

Didn't even realize there was a scouting program in scuba - Let me know if I can help in the SoCal area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom