Holbox whale shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'll be in Coz for the 12th time in 15 years and this time I'd like to take a trip in between dives in Coz to Holbox island and do a snorkeling trip with the whale sharks that come to feed on plankton in late June.
My question is if anyone on this forum did this and which is the best dive shop that can offer this trip or the best way to do it.
Thank you,
Paul

I remember seeing something on Blue Angel's website about trips to Holbox last year. www.blueangel-scuba.com I don't see it anymore but you contact them and see if they have any info.

There was also a good article on Locogringo www.locogringo.com/holbox and I do know people who had a great time with this operator and had a great trip www.holboxwhalesharktours.com

I've wanted to do this for years and haven't gotten around to it. We had a baby whaleshark (about 18ft) join us at the beginning of a dive in Akumal in December. A complete fluke and a very cool experience. Makes me want to go to Holbox even more.

If you run a Search on Mexico, you'll find a lot more threads on the mainland forum.

DandyDon:
If you run a Search on Mexico, you'll find a lot more threads on the mainland forum.

Yes, but the OP is looking for a Holbox trip hosted by a Coz dive op.

Blue Angel does Holbox trips, and they are a great op.

ggunn:
Yes, but the OP is looking for a Holbox trip hosted by a Coz dive op.

Blue Angel does Holbox trips, and they are a great op.
Ok, good point - and I had no idea that Blue Angel runs any of them. From what I've seen in my reading of the mainland threads, it looks like a pretty significant journey, and I'd think I'd want to overnight there the night before and after a day on a snorkel boat there.

But I've never been. I'll have a better opinion in 5 months after I get back from trying it myself with a 3 night, 2 day package I'm trying.

mstevens:
We had a great whale shark dive off Holbox 2 years ago. It was arranged by Dive Cozumel (Yellow Rose) and well worth the time and money.

I had read that there was no diving allowed at Holbox. Snorkeling wouldn't be bad but strapping on a tank would be a thing of beauty. Did you really dive?

I did a great trip there last summer. It is all snorkeling only. We had to be at the shop at 4:00 a.m. but it was great. I even took my 11 year old and he loved it. WELL worth the money. Have fun!
Jo

Back
Top Bottom