diving in great lakes area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
...You sure like your wrecks deep...

Nah! Deep or shallow, I just like good wrecks and go where I have to in order to see them.

diverbrian:
...I love not having to worry about paying for charters (just a split of the gas bill among all the divers who go out) and enjoying exceptional diving.

Good for you. Sounds like a great gig!

Lots more to see in Alpena/Presque Isle. I can't wait to get back there next summer!

I have to agree with the Straits of Mackinaw. Beautiful. The water color is BLUE... (Very different than where we dive - brown). Visability last week was 50'. The Eber Ward was a great wreck, also enjoyed the Young, but have to say I loved the Sandusky. Just something really nice about that one. There's a dive shop in St. Ignace, didn't dive with them but got tanks filled. Seemed very nice. I'd recommend the Straits to anyone. (Water temp was 41 degrees at 116').

I might suggest rectec divers out of port Sanilac
he can accomodate various skill levels etc.

Or if you want to drive all the way to Mackinac City or St. Ignace at the tip, I highly recommend the Straits of Mackinac diving, some of the best shipwrecks and the rec diver, though I can also say all the preserves have good diving and I have never been out on a bad charter around the great lakes

Geez, this thread won't die! it was started in 2005. I wonder if he ever made the trip. ;-)

av8er23:
What is the best great lake to dive in? As far as conditions, structures, and fish?
Well there is Lake Erie; the western part has low visibility but amazing wrecks. The east is nice better viz and ok wrecks. Then Lake Huron which Is my personal favorite. Tobermory I have pretty much dove all the wrecks and regardless if it is 15 ft or 150 ft, I have never been disappointed. The vis is never lower than 40 ft. Then Lake Superior which is really cold and a challenging dives. Like Ontario, has a high concentration of high quality wrecks. I would say the only way to really answer your question would be for you to go dive every lake! 

I would go with Port Sanilac for diving and with Rec & tec Charters...But i also only live 2 block away :)

Tek Adventure Diver:
Well there is Lake Erie; the western part has low visibility but amazing wrecks. The east is nice better viz and ok wrecks.

IMHO you've got that severely backwards!!

The shallow west end of Erie has the mediocre rubble piles and averages low viz... the West end of Erie, particularly diving off Osprey Charters in Barcelona, NY has wrecks that are pretty phenomenal, particularly those below the thermocline from 80-180ft.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I spent most of my early years diving in Erie and also looking at the pictures of some very good wreck photographers.

Vlada

Osprey Charters

Back
Top Bottom