What's the right type of boat to dive from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
That space would be awesome. The 1278 engine hours would likely require a major overall if not already done. A boat that age would likely have core water damage near the externally mounted transducer(s), garboard drain housing, trim tabs, etc. Would also need a permit to trailer something with that beam. (Depends on the state law). Would be good negotiating points armed with a survey though.

--Matt

Wouldn't be at all concerned with hours. If you wanted to move forward, we'd have mechanical inspections done. As far as the moisture, I have a company with a patent pending system to remove moisture and I've seen it on 1 year old boats and 20 year old boats. The 34 Rays were better than most. If you're concerned about moisture, you might as well take Wellcraft off the list. You would need a permit to get it to Florida but once there, you could move it around a few miles here and there without too much trouble. If you're interested, PM me and we can discuss it.

To revert to your original question: What is a good boat to dive from? Almost any boat can be a good boat to dive from if it is set up for the divers to safely get into and out of the water.

So the actual question is what the thread has drifted into: What can you afford to maintain once you buy it? and What am I going to use the boat for when I'm not diving?

My experience is that your first boat is seldom your long term boat. In fact, for some people boats are bought and sold as their interests change. Wisely bought, maintained and sold the net cost of this isn't that bad at all.

Most people I've seen successfully operate boats do two things: First they buy inexpensive to truly understand what they are doing. Until you own and operate a boat you don't really know what it is you want. Then they get their more spot on boat. Second, they maintain their boats in meticulous condition. The interior may be worn, but it is squared away and spotless. The engine room is clean and free of nasty odors. The onboard head works. You get the point.

cobaltblue:
Wouldn't be at all concerned with hours. If you wanted to move forward, we'd have mechanical inspections done. As far as the moisture, I have a company with a patent pending system to remove moisture and I've seen it on 1 year old boats and 20 year old boats. The 34 Rays were better than most. If you're concerned about moisture, you might as well take Wellcraft off the list. You would need a permit to get it to Florida but once there, you could move it around a few miles here and there without too much trouble. If you're interested, PM me and we can discuss it.

No wood or fiberglass boats are immune to hull core moisture. Unless the owner removes and reseals every screw on the outside of the hull every few years, you're awfully likely to have some hull core moisture. I personally think it should be illegal to have wood or canvas in/on boats, ha ha, but unfortunately those boats are extremely expensive. Salt water is not as bad as fresh water for core rot.

I think for someone like you, a 1985 Sea Ray with a canvas top and almost 1300 hours on gas engines would be no problem. For most people, that is a maintenance nightmare. A non-mechanic new owner should expect serious maintenance or costs every season with a boat that age.

--Matt

I too have been looking for a boat. Lot of good sites on the internet but one I keep going back to is www.usedboats.com. There are actually quite a few boats under 50K out there for sale including some decent ones in the 40 ft range. My budget is in the 30K max region and the last time I did a search at usedboats.com, just in the NE region within 100 miles of my house there where over 900 boats for sale in the 24-36 foot range. Since I'm retired military, slip costs at the marina on Seavey Island in Portsmouth run about half what the commercial marinas charge.

Hi Tim, I live in the U.K. and some of those 2nd hand boats seem to be incredably cheap, the bayliner at under $16,000 or the 48 ft Sea Ray for $14000 would be the bargain of the century. To bad it's to far away for me to check out. On second thought I guess the scam warning on the web site about boats that sound to good to be true should make you aware.
It's only a dream and although its not so pretty, I quite fancy this http://www.glen-l.com/designs/cruiser/hercules.html

You can buy a salvaged boat for $0.25 on the dollar, and majority of the time you can get it tip top shape for cheap.

budgy:
Hi Tim, I live in the U.K. and some of those 2nd hand boats seem to be incredably cheap, the bayliner at under $16,000 or the 48 ft Sea Ray for $14000 would be the bargain of the century. To bad it's to far away for me to check out. On second thought I guess the scam warning on the web site about boats that sound to good to be true should make you aware.
It's only a dream and although its not so pretty, I quite fancy this http://www.glen-l.com/designs/cruiser/hercules.html

Not too bad. Looks like the early Albins that were made in Europe during the 1970s. I think they're made in Florida now though. I got the below listing off of www.Yachtworld.com that's over in the UK. Again, some decent looking used boats in there. As with everything -- buyer beware. Before buying any boat over a couple of thousand dollars I would have it surveyed, never know what you'll find. I'll check usedboats.com again and see if you can do a search that will turn up anything in the UK. I know that i found a catamaran in Mexico that I loved but can't afford $150,000 for anything right now!

Length Boats Year Price (US$) Codes Location
85' Barge for liveaboard c... 1935 29,124 P U O O ST Goole, United Kingdom
78' Regents Canal lighter ... 1955 17,474 C U O O ST Rochester, United Kingdom
78' River Lee Lighter to C... 1965 15,533 P U O O ST Medway, Kent, United Kingdom
63' Bare Hull and deck to ... 1936 5,825 P U O O W Isle of wight, United Kingdom
62' Humber Keel craft (3 a... 1962 23,299 C U O O ST South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
62' Residential Trawler wi... 1942 23,299 P U O O W Medway, Kent, United Kingdom
45' Cheap home, needs work... 1958 14,562 P U O O W Medway, Kent, United Kingdom
43' Aquafibre/Broom 43 (1/... 1995 18,445 P U S D FG United Kingdom
43' Italian Timber cruiser 1968 18,445 P U T D W United Kingdom
42' Unknown Diesel liveaboard 1962 29,114 P U T D W Essex, United Kingdom
40' Dowty water jet and 30... 1972 4,873 P U O O ST Medway, Kent, United Kingdom
39' 12m Berth in Southampt... 2007 8,852 P U O D FG with CLL in Town Quay, Southampton, United Kingdom
39' Converted Motor Fishin... 1958 26,212 P U S D W United Kingdom
38' Aquafibre/Broom 38 (1/... 1900 16,504 P U S D FG United Kingdom
38' Unknown ferro cement 1992 29,114 P U S D FC Plymouth, United Kingdom
37' Bonito . 1990 25,231 P U T FG United Kingdom
36' Camper & Nicholson Har... 1963 29,122 P U S D W United Kingdom
36' Dorset Lake Shipyard, ... 1972 11,164 P U T D W Jersey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
36' Ranger TS Motor Launch 1937 14,562 P U T D FG Channel Islands, United Kingdom
36' Steel Workboat 1989 13,591 C U S D ST Brixham, Devon, United Kingdom
35' Thorneycroft 35 1919 20,969 P U S D W Sunbury on Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
33' 10m Berth in Southampt... 2007 7,376 P U O D FG with CLL in Town Quay, Southampton, United Kingdom
33' Osborne mould tool 2006 29,124 P U S D FG United Kingdom
32' Cruiser Express 267 1989 19,319 P U T G FG Guernsey, United Kingdom
32' Cruisers International... 1989 28,833 P U T FG Sale Pending
32' Motor Cruiser 1965 23,299 P U T D W North Wales, United Kingdom
32' Princess 32 1971 19,416 P U T G FG Sale Pending
32' TSDY Motor Boat 1986 21,338 P U T D FG Jersey, United Kingdom
32' Unknown Trawler/crabber 1965 17,465 P U S D W Plymouth, United Kingdom
32' Vee Express . 1988 27,182 P U T FG Sale Pending

Items: 1 - 30 of 573 Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 N

one thing I haven't hear anyone mention is fuel consumption those 454's on that SeaRay will easily drink 20 GPH each if opened up at all. Just something else to think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom