Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Knight

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My dad left me his 14 ft V Bottom jon boat we use to fish with. It's great for fishing I'm wondering if I could dive from it. Opinions?

Dive where from it?--in the ocean twenty miles off shore--NO. In a twenty acre pond--yeah but why?

I have dived as a kid from such boats, they are to light and unstable---the short answer is NO.

N

Thats what I figured just thought it does so well on the lake that I got to wondering if I could use it to dive at the same lake which is suppose to have so sunken cities from when it was damed up. Thanks for an experienced opinion.

We used an 18' jon boat for a whole summer doing work in the rivers. It is possible, we had to buy a ladder and modify it to work. We would take our BC off and hand it to someone on board than climb the ladder to get in. Getting off was easy enough.

You can make anything work if you want too. If it’s what you have I would say use it why miss out on a great dive just because you don’t have the ideal dive boat? AS mentioned they aren’t the most stable boats on the water so if possible I would try to rig the ladder so you can get back on board from the front or the back of it. If worst comes to worst have your dive buddy hang off of one side as you climb in the opposite side. Being you used this on the same lake for fishing you know what kind of weather it can take and just remember that it will probably be setting a couple inches lower in the water do to the extra weight of dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom