compact or DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BioNerd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear friends,
I've been asking and searching on this board. Well maybe not hard enough but i want a straight and honest opinion. I am not sure whether to start my Underwater photo extravaganzas with a digital point and shoot or a DSLR. I am a semi-hardcore amature terrestrial photographer but dont know whether i should put my D70s underwater. What do you guys think i should start with? I know i will probably want to eventually go to a DSLR but the buy-in for a housing, ports, decent strobes etc will be very high. thanks
k

How often do you dive?
What are your goals?
What's your budget?
What's your dive experience?
Are you happy to choose a single lens or do you like more flexibility?
Do you have any potentially suitable gear now?
Have you ever shot underwater before?
Do you like to post process? Do you have the software to handle RAW files?
Are you happy to drag around a substantial amount of extra kit while - traveling? diving?
Do you have buddies with similar interests?
What type of images do you prefer underwater?
Just some questions to help us give you more insight on the paths we have chosen...

Have you cruised the Pink Link in my signature (also a sticky at the top of this forum)?

Alcina has hit it on the head, we need to know more. For a once per year diver the investment in gear required for DSLR may not be orth it. If you plan on pursuing the underwater photo journey several times a year and want great results then the DSLR maybe just the ticket.

Cost is often the issue. If you have a liberal budget than go with a DSLR. I have always found when it comes to things you are passionate about buy the best you can afford.

Rough DSLR Costs:
Housing & Ports: $3000-6500
Strobes: $600-4000 (Each)
Strobe arms, clamps, sync cords: +$400
Batteries & Misc stuff: $500
Since you have lenses you may save some money there. Some of the most common lenses for underwater are: 60mm, 105mm, 12-24mm, 10.5mm 17-35 or 17-55

alcina:
How often do you dive?
What are your goals?
What's your budget?
What's your dive experience?
Are you happy to choose a single lens or do you like more flexibility?
Do you have any potentially suitable gear now?
Have you ever shot underwater before?
Do you like to post process? Do you have the software to handle RAW files?
Are you happy to drag around a substantial amount of extra kit while - traveling? diving?
Do you have buddies with similar interests?
What type of images do you prefer underwater?
Just some questions to help us give you more insight on the paths we have chosen...

Have you cruised the Pink Link in my signature (also a sticky at the top of this forum)?

Goals: show everyone who can't dive what it looks like under water
Budget: possibly 2000
Dive experience: 60+ dives total, working on Divemaster and will become an instructor
Flexibility? Yes, i use three different lenses on land (70-200mm@r2.8, 105mm@f2.8 and a sigma 15-35mm wide angle)
Gear? I have someone who will sell me a used D70 housing from sea and sea
Experience underwater? Never shot underwater before.
Post Process? i try not to but i can work my way around photoshop.
Images? I think i want to do more macro shots, specially in california, beach vis is 15ft max.
hope that helps.
k

As someone who shoots dSLR topside, housing the D70S might be more to your liking. I shot SLRs for years before I started diving and when I started shooting underwater, I got myself a point and shoot system, which was fine. But it wasn't long before I found I was wanting more, and now I'm happy with my current dSLR setup. Given your budget, you should be able to set yourself up with the used housing and a strobe, or at least come close. You do need to look into getting proper port(s) for the lens(es) you might want to use underwater. The 15-35mm would be a decent wide angle lens, provided you can find a port for it. Is the 105mm a macro lens? If so, that would be good for using underwater too.

Apples and Oranges.

No comparison between DSLR and point-n-shoot cameras.

Money is always the deciding factor.

If you go with point-n-shoot take a hard look at the new Olympus SP550UZ. It has RAW capability. The Ikelite housing for it is not out yet but the Oly housing is. If I upgraded today it would be my choice for a point-n-shoot camera for both underwater and land use. It has 18x optical zoom and a wide angle lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom