OMS IQ vs Halcyon - and issue of Fastex failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hahaha,
Thanks NetDoc. I have heard the argument from both sides about Fastex buckles and wanted to see what others thought. All the OMS IQ folks I have 'polled' about their IQ's have had very favorable responses to them, with no reporting of Fastex failure's while diving. One diver had over 100 tech dives w/o a problem...

Thanks again...

Usually you have a D-ring above the fastex and I add a half d-ring below, this way if need be I can just take out my little double ender bolt snap and clip them together.

My first OMS IQ pak had the fastex buckles and I never had any problems. Once on a boat dive I set my tank down on the crotch strap buckle cracking it. It still worked fine up until the day I replaced it. My new OMS IQ pak has the weight belt style buckle, it's quick and easy to get in and out of. IMO it all comes down to checking one's gear on a regular basis and replacing worn parts.

have plastic buckles (is that the fastex you're talking about) and they work fine for me and very happy with them.

I really was just referring to the fact that this is an often flogged horse....

I've never even seen this halcyon thing everyone keeps harping on about! Tech stuff out here is nearly always some sort of OMS or Dive Rite configuration, back in the UK is used to be OMS or Custom Divers.

Jonathan

Thanks all,
I have also spoken to several tech divers who have 100's of tech dives under their belt (no pun intended!) and they have never experienced a failure or problem.

Might just be an issue of moot point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom