Sports Chalet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
We don't compete with each other... we compete with the other ways people find to spend their discretionary income. Get more folks into scuba... and they'll find their way into our shops.

Why this is lost on so many scuba retailers is beyond me.

The next largest recreational activity industry is bocce ball.

Gilbert location has a pool as well

krcollins:
Sorry to continue the hijack but...

1) Happy Valley/I-17 location does have a outdoor pool. It is out back by the loading dock.
I've been in that store at least twice, always looking at Scuba. Both times I've been approached by an employee who works in that dept. You'd think they'd mention a POOL out back...
2) The AZ Republic did an article last fall about the Metrocenter location. Supposedly it is opening this spring and is supposed to take one of the former anchor spaces in the mall. I tried to get the Republic article but you have to buy the archive articles
Surprisingly it's in Wikipedia:
A 40,000 square foot Sports Chalet store was signed in August 2006 to replace the vacant Van's Skatepark on the second floor of the mall near Sears.
Diving just went mainstream in Phoenix...it's going to kill Sports Authority. Probably not too good for Scuba Sciences either...

Anybody think we should move this discusssion to it's own thread?

Meh. I don't know that Sport Chalet is going to harm the smaller LDS. When I visited one a few months ago, I didn't see anything on which I'd spend money. "Budget" line of equipment, IMHO.

sjspeck:
I've been in that store at least twice, always looking at Scuba. Both times I've been approached by an employee who works in that dept. You'd think they'd mention a POOL out back...
That does not surprise me. They probably just finished stocking the Nikes, unless it was Don then it would surprise me.

Stephen Ash:
Sports Chalet is good for us all. We don't compete with each other... we compete with the other ways people find to spend their discretionary income. Get more folks into scuba... and they'll find their way into our shops. Come on Sports Chalet... pay for some radio and TV time!

I did not think of it that way. I'm not in retail and know nothing about scuba retail but I can't help but think about the "Home Depot Effect" where the mom's and pop's could not match price because they don't have the buying power as the big boxes and end up shutting their doors.

I think a large majority of consumers make their buying decisons based on price (for the same product) that can't be good in an industry where most of the certified divers who buy their own gear do it once. If SC markets certification classes well, it's more than likely that they will take a larger share of gear sales even in an expanding market and the locals are probably gonna feel it (IMHO). Plus, they are open on Sunday.

Just my thoughts but I sure hope you are right.

A place like SC gets people thinking about diving. Some may even spend some money there. But they will end up in one of our local shops sooner or later. We see it every day.

Stephen Ash:
A place like SC gets people thinking about diving. Some may even spend some money there. But they will end up in one of our local shops sooner or later. We see it every day.
I see alot of them on our trips with those nice new neon yellow AL80's:crafty: . I see your point those that want to continue to stay active beyond the initial cert or gear purchase with a shop will most likely migrate to the local LDS.

There are some products that can be sold en masse at the big boxes effectively. Consumer electronics and home improvement supplies fit that description. At some point, though, the consumer becomes more educated and demands a higher level of quality and/or service than that available in the big box.

Ironically, there's an OpEd piece on MSN today about how Home Depot is hurting itself by trying to cut costs by trimming manpower. The view Stephen espouses is the long view, but we do have to survive the short term to reach it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom