Split Fins vs. Regular Fins

Split Fins or Regular Fins?

• Split Fins

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Regular Fins

Votes: 56 50.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Scubapro twin jets and love them, although I think I would like to try the
Scubapro twin jet max as they are stiffer in the middle. Looks like a great fin, but I haven't had any feedback on them yet.

I have a pair of Aeris Velocity fins which are almost a hybrid of a stiff and split fin. They holes in the middle and are very flexible there. I can swim quite fast in a flutter if I so wish but around here you pretty much have to frog kick unless you want to kick up silt (<10' vis is the norm). I was with a buddy who had splits and he had trouble with the frog kick in them so I'd say splits are not very good for our local diving. I can even go backwards in my velocities although not very well. I'm sure some of that is my inexperience as I haven't really practiced backward kicks very often.

I have a pair of splits (atomics) and love them. In an open water environment, you can't beat them (IMHO). Then again, I'm not penetrating wrecks or exploring caves (yet).
I must also say that Atomics have by far the best buckle system for fin straps. Very easy to take on and off. Probably not as easy as springs, but for buckles, they have no equal.

Spady

TSandM:
I think if you primarily flutter kick, the split fins are great. They're comfortable and reduce the effort you put out, and so I think they also reduce cramping.

On the other hand, flutter kicking has its drawbacks, especially here in the PNW, where bottoms are always silty. Full flutter kick invariably leaves a trail of silt in the water.

For other kicks, you need a stiff fin to make them work well, and split fins are the antithesis of stiff.

I use Jets. I don't flutter kick much any more.
That pretty much sums it up for my POV too.

I owned and dove Scubapro Jet Fins in L then a 2nd pair in XL, Mares Plana Avanti and Avanti Quattro's. I wore these fins that I tried one time are another Velocity's and Turtles. But the best fin I've owned are used has been the Apollo Bio-Fin Pro, they have a XT And a XT C.

If you can believe Scuba Diver Mag their tests support the statement Apollo's beat all comers in everyway.

Back
Top Bottom