Lighter Drysuit Undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been diving in Key Largo this month and the water is a bit colder than I had expected. I was too cold in my 3 mil wetsuit so I switched to my drysuit but then I was too hot. I'd like to buy lighter undergarments for the moment rather than a heavier wetsuit. I have a Diving Concepts Trilaminate and currently use Weezle Extreme undergarments. I can't find a dive shop in the keys that carry any drysuit gear so I have to resort to looking online. Anyone have recommendations for undergarments that will keep me comfortable in 68 to 72 degree water without perspiring? I can't find any sites online that are clear about the temperature ranges for different sets. Even a link to a more informative site/store would be helpful. Thanks!

Amanda

OMG, Weezle Extreme! I wear lightweight REI fleece jacket and pants.

All the best, James

what fdog said

while a good drysuit undergarment is worth its weight in gold in cold water, in warmer water anything made of polartec will suffice. go into any rei or ems and you can find a huge assortment of fleece pants jackets and vest in a variety of weights.

TheTechChik:
I've been diving in Key Largo this month and the water is a bit colder than I had expected. I was too cold in my 3 mil wetsuit so I switched to my drysuit but then I was too hot. I'd like to buy lighter undergarments for the moment rather than a heavier wetsuit. I have a Diving Concepts Trilaminate and currently use Weezle Extreme undergarments. I can't find a dive shop in the keys that carry any drysuit gear so I have to resort to looking online. Anyone have recommendations for undergarments that will keep me comfortable in 68 to 72 degree water without perspiring? I can't find any sites online that are clear about the temperature ranges for different sets. Even a link to a more informative site/store would be helpful. Thanks!

Amanda
In water temps like that I use a set of midweight polar fleece. Depending on your drysuit (e.g. rock boots or other) you may still find that a pair of wool socks and/or the weezle booties still work nicely on your feet. But the advantage to polarfleece is that after the dive you can drop the top and the wind goes through the polar fleece to cool you, while the fleece protects from the sun... Dries out sweat, mild leakage, etc. I use a two piece set of polarfleece so I can remove the top and still be wearing the bottoms inside my drysuit. Whatever works for you...but generally speaking, I've found that in warmer waters polarfleece rocks as an insulating layer.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

We've found the Expedition wear from Mountain Equipment Co-op - a Canadian staple for outdoor wear - to be just the ticket for warmer water conditions:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617503&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699173&bmUID=1172456699179

MEC Expedition Stretch Zip-T
MEC Expedition Stretch Long Johns

Ooops - here is a link to the women's:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617504&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302704005&bmUID=1172457317901

Wicking type long johns

TheTechChik:
I can't find a dive shop in the keys that carry any drysuit gear so I have to resort to looking online. Anyone have recommendations for undergarments that will keep me comfortable in 68 to 72 degree water without perspiring?Amanda

For warmer temps, I use Polartec garments purchased from Cabela's online.

http://tinyurl.com/2svn5f

These look to be about 200 gm/yard, which might be a good weight for those temps.

They also have lighter weights which could be used as a first layer, if you needed more warmth.

Dave C

I also wear the powerstretch clothing from Cabela's (only not the women's cut). I like the union bibs and the zip top. I use that when I know its going to be somewhat warm or as an underlayer when i know its going to be really cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom