Bikini Atoll is a living museum.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purcellj:
Your original post said your opinion as fact. Hence my point...Thanks

We are splitting hairs at this point. My original intention and original opinion...was meant as a strong recommendation. I DID find the use of my canister light very rewarding while diving the wrecks at Bikini. At 170 - 180 feet it did help...especially with some of the wreck penetrations.

While diving doubles I like to tuck my long hose underneath the canister...it makes for a more streamlined profile.

I take it...you found holding your back up light adequate on most dives at Bikini? When did you travel and dive at Bikini?

Quite frankly...people are intelligent enough to give and take what they want from a forum site. It was never my intention to be the master of all facts.

Thank you.

oceancrest67:
I DID find the use of my canister light very rewarding while diving the wrecks at Bikini.
I'm happy for you.

oceancrest67:
I take it...you found holding your back up light adequate on most dives at Bikini?
My primary was clipped off. My backup was tucked in a pocket. If your point was 'is the wattage sufficient', then I didn't want for more power.

oceancrest67:
When did you travel and dive at Bikini?
Spring 04
Spring 06

oceancrest67:
Quite frankly...people are intelligent enough to give and take what they want from a forum site. It was never my intention to be the master of all facts.
Bikini's rules are some of the most restrictive around. Just look at the number of computers that they don't allow. If your comments were related to NJ, NC, Caribbean, or other more easily accessible locations, I won't have said a word about any of this. But Bikini is special. Simply because it is so restrictive and because it is so remote.

Actually people are idiots. Like the group that went to Bikini and didn't want to go into deco.

oceancrest67:
Correction: I was there before you in August of 06. The Saratoga bridge and related structure was completely accessible at the time.

Sorry mate. I figured out my mistake after I'd hit the post button.
It sure is a hell of a wonderful location. We should all feel blessed that we've had the opportunity to see such a time capsule.

mrpat:
Sorry mate. I figured out my mistake after I'd hit the post button.
It sure is a hell of a wonderful location. We should all feel blessed that we've had the opportunity to see such a time capsule.

No problem. I agree Bikini is a time a capsule. From what I understand, diving Bikini is becoming a money losing operation given the remoteness and unique aspects of Bikini.

purcellj:
I'm happy for you.

My primary was clipped off. My backup was tucked in a pocket. If your point was 'is the wattage sufficient', then I didn't want for more power.

Spring 04
Spring 06

Bikini's rules are some of the most restrictive around. Just look at the number of computers that they don't allow. If your comments were related to NJ, NC, Caribbean, or other more easily accessible locations, I won't have said a word about any of this. But Bikini is special. Simply because it is so restrictive and because it is so remote.

Actually people are idiots. Like the group that went to Bikini and didn't want to go into deco.

I meant that people reading this site are intelligent enough to give and take what suits them.

Regarding idiots...I heard from Jim at Bikini that he once had to clean and fix a whole bunch of regs because the divers that showed up forgot to maintain their own. The divers were expecting the Bikini staff to just cater to their every need. Diving Bikini is not some resort style dive trip...it is almost expedition style diving...hence being well prepared with gear etc.

I too have made the trek out there once and will return. There is no right light to take, but the brighter, the better.

The bikini web site is very accurate-- use it if you plan to go. And yes, it ain't no resort and doesn't pretend to be. I loved that part.

Jim is very set on using the NiTek, which I am not sure is even being made anymore.
I own one though and still use it the way he suggested, which results in a little more deco time than other computers (also diving a Vytek), but hey, what is a few more minutes compared to a chamber ride and 6 months to a year out of the h2o. (if your lucky)

One trick I picked up before going, is you are not charged for your carry ons!! I hit 40# exactly with my bag (all you need is 2pr shorts and 2 t shirts + wet suit)

I carried my back plate on my pack and attached items to it including my full back pack. I looked pretty funny in the waiting room, but it worked.

Definetly have a decompression cert. as a minimum before going and get some practice.

The other thing I did was to combine the trip with 2 weeks in Chuuk. It is on the same continental island hop route.

The only drawback I saw, is that one week is not long enough to get the feel for all of the vessels and begin penetrations. I think you need to go with a group cert. in advanced wreck also.

make everyday a great day; only you are responsible

Back
Top Bottom