So many hogs to choose, help me narrow em down....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

70lbs is huge. Beyond huge, gagingous. 55lbs will easily float me with hp100 doubles, 2 AL40s and an AL80 in a drysuit.

My advice is to not even get a doubles wing.

With your current experience, the best thing you can spend you money on is a BP/W, a canister light and training. Doubles, huge wings, etc. etc. are all overkill. Hate to break it to you Sunfire85, but you aren't ready for all that carp.

After another ~50 dives, when you are ready for doubles and such, you will then have a good idea of what kind of wing you need. You said below that you'd like lift low. Almost everyone I know what's lift high, to avoid plowing sand with their forehead. I posit that you don't really know where you need lift.

So get more experience in a single tank BP wing and you'll start to know how your body is in the water. Then you can get a wing to match your shape and skills, instead of trusting either your instructor or the internet. Both are a poor substitute for your own judgement and experience.

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I'll reconsider and think over this... BTW, rjack321, you getting any snow out there? I miss Montana, I know my families getting snow dumped on them.... stupid northeast.

TSandM:
According to your profile, you've got less than 50 dives.

If you're diving a single tank with a pony, you don't need 70 lbs of lift.

If you're diving multiple stages/deco bottles and a scooter, you might, but that should be a LONG way off in your diving education. Furthermore, if you get to where you are doing dives that require multiple stages/deco bottles, the cost of replacing a 40 or 50 lb wing with a bigger wing will be an almost unnoticeable issue.

The problem with too big a wing is not only an inefficient profile in the water, but the taco effect of a large wing wrapping around your tanks. It makes the wing quite hard to vent, and requires you to go well out of trim to do so.

I've already given you my advice, which is to stick with a single tank setup until you've had a chance to see what the technical "bar" is for skills and make sure you can reach it. But if you want to go into doubles immediately, at least buy the wing that suits the gear you are diving now, and should be diving for some time. You really don't save yourself anything by trying to buy gear that will serve in any conceivable circumstances. There just isn't any gear that does that.

What the Borg Queen :11: I mean what TS&M said. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Comrade Stroke

All of my dives are made with a BP and wing. In fact, I don't even own a regular BCD anymore. When making dives with a single tank, I use a Dive Rite Venture Wing (30# lift). This wing works well for all of my single tank dives from an AL80 to a LP95. For diving doubles, I use a Halcyon Explorer 55#. Halcyon doesn't even sell a larger wing anymore. You simply don't need more lift than that if you are diving a balanced rig. I've made many tech/cave dives using doubles and two deco/stage bottles, and the 55# Explorer has more than enough lift for a wet suit or dry.

There are divers who will tell you otherwise, but I don't like the idea of using one wing for both singles and doubles. You basically get one wing that doesn't work well for either use. It falls under the whole idea of a "cross training" athletic shoe....Good at some things, but not great at any.

I recommend getting a high quality wing for single tank diving. Golem, Halcyon, Dive Rite, Oxycheq...They are all acceptable choices. As far as webbing goes...A Hogarthian rig is pretty tough to beat. If adjusted properly, you can get in and out of it with realtive ease. It will also last for hundreds of dives, and is ultra reliable.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Sunfire85:
Yeah, I was thinking about going with a 55. I talked with my dive instructor and he suggested that I should get a 70. He said it would be a good wing to have once you start getting pony bottles and start brining deco bottles along with you.

Deco bottles should not affect your weighting, or wing lift.

Look here, scroll down to section on Stages and Deco bottles.

http://dir-diver.com/en/knowledge/how_much_lead.html

Now ask your instructor again........

Tobin

Greg Barlow:
All of my dives are made with a BP and wing. In fact, I don't even own a regular BCD anymore. When making dives with a single tank, I use a Dive Rite Venture Wing (30# lift). This wing works well for all of my single tank dives from an AL80 to a LP95. For diving doubles, I use a Halcyon Explorer 55#. Halcyon doesn't even sell a larger wing anymore. You simply don't need more lift than that if you are diving a balanced rig. I've made many tech/cave dives using doubles and two deco/stage bottles, and the 55# Explorer has more than enough lift for a wet suit or dry.

There are divers who will tell you otherwise, but I don't like the idea of using one wing for both singles and doubles. You basically get one wing that doesn't work well for either use. It falls under the whole idea of a "cross training" athletic shoe....Good at some things, but not great at any.

I recommend getting a high quality wing for single tank diving. Golem, Halcyon, Dive Rite, Oxycheq...They are all acceptable choices. As far as webbing goes...A Hogarthian rig is pretty tough to beat. If adjusted properly, you can get in and out of it with realtive ease. It will also last for hundreds of dives, and is ultra reliable.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I have to agree with Greg on going overkill with a wing as well as the idea of "growing into" some piece of equipment. After reading several postings...I get the feeling you are attempting to bite off more than you can chew at this stage. There seems to be some impatience at getting "technical". Someone posted the need for gradual training and gradual growth with equipment and technique. If it is of any perspective...I have been diving for 13 years but it was not until 3 years ago that I decided to expand into doubles, cave training, technical training and related equipment...and I have to say that I have come to like what I like...I am not particularly thrilled with cave diving although I find the training and experience valuable in disciplining one's skills and equipment set up.

I am still learning, re-reading and practicing my skills...it is imperative if one wants to maintain competency and technique. In my opinion, learning to dive well takes time and practice...and patience...rushing through the gates on an ego trip of certification cards is a recipe for disaster.

If it helps...I use a custom plate from Fred T, Dive Rite webbing (webbing is going to be little stiff one way or the other), and a Dive Rite Classic Wing for my double 104's. I keep my Dive Rite Transpac handy for diving singles and/or resort style fun diving.

Just my O2.

I wanted to go all out with doubles (my SAC sucks) and get everything right away. I've since PMed quite a few people and TSandM stands out the most and has helped me realize I am FAR from doing any double rigs. It all makes sense to me to start out with a single, get my trim and buoyancy down and down GOOD before I try to go up to doubles. I'm glad I PMed her and the others that's helped me out. I've also done a LOT of reading to make the selections of primary and secondary regs and back plates and wings.

So take your time, learn with a single and eventually go to a set of doubles. (I have kinda cheated, I have two Catalina 100's ready so when I go to doubles, I have them, otherwise, I have to single tanks for multiple dives.). I think the transition from a single to double will be easier that way.

Michael

Sunfire85:
So, I am planning on getting my first Hog setup and feel overwhelmed with the different brands to go with. There just seem to be so many. I have read many topics on here about hogs and BP/W's but still feel overwhelmed with the possibilities. I know for sure I do not want any quick releases creating a potential failure spot. My scuba instructor also agreed on that. I guess I will lay out the brands with links to them and see what everyone thinks. Any pro's/con's/ I have this and I loved it/hated it would be appreciated.

OMS
The continuous weave harness. It’s Item # BP-166
http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html

Halcyon
MC System – Mainly the double tanks
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/explorer.shtml
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/evolve.shtml

Northeast Scuba Supply
Backplate and Wings package 1 or package 2
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/specials/

Deep Sea Supply
The rig seen on the page but with Hogarthian Harness $445.00
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page11.html
Also, I have thought about buying everything separately. I really liked the Hammerhead plates out there. Any thoughtsplate.[/
on buying everything separately and the hammerhead plates? BTW, I want a SS QUOTE]
I 'm a single tank,rec diver and I use a HH aluminium B/P and their two piece SS STA for warm water,without any extra lead.For cold water diving I just add their one piece SS STA and some extra weight on two XXScuba weight pouches.I also use their one piece harness.HH products are well made and reasonably price.My wing is an 30 lb Oxycheq Mach V.I know its just too many models and brands to sieve thru before finding the best set up.But this board has enough info to help you make the right choice for you.I am very happy with my HH and Oxycheq set up,because I travel alot to dive,and packing is easy.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom