Registration Numbers on PVC Inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoddu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What do you use to put the registration numbers and the registration stickers on your PVC inflatables? Do you just stick the registration sticker directly in the PVC tube? Do you use the vinyl stick-on numbers, or do you paint the numbers on with plastic paint? What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Most effective method is put the registraion on a 3 in high board and hang it over the side, as near the bow as possible. Rules say that numbers must be visbile, not necessarily permanently attached

having worked at marinas... they have one registration and move it from boat to boat on test drives. Go get a piece of plexiglass and attach them to it and then hang em over the side.
edit* make sure this is ok with the wildlife council.

I doubt he'll be moving it from boat to boat..... having it removeable just asks for it to become lost overboard or easily undentifiable if stolen.

I would say permentantly attach them to a personally owned PVC

How about getting a stencil and a paint marker? anyone tried that?

What does your boat owners manual say? This is an issue that all boats made by this manufacturer have to deal with so there might be something in there.

3" stencle and sharpie works for me. May have to touch it up every couple of years.

The best most permanent way to do it is to buy the numbers needed in PVC and glue to the boat using the same glue you would to patch it with. If done right they will not be able to get them off. I had a Zodiac stolen about 4 years ago it was found in a Safeway parking lot still on the trailer they ditched it when they couldn’t get the numbers off. They got half of one number off and just scratch up a couple others.

For supplies go to who ever you bought it from they should have pieces of PVC for repair if they don’t have the numbers precut and can’t do it take they fabric to a sign shop they have the dies to cut out what ever numbers you need.

Here are a couple links on how too.
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1527

if you called these guys you could probably get the supplies also http://www.allinflatables.com/support/repairs.html

they also sell a rubber block to put your registration sticker on so it doesn’t start to come off as the boat flexes.

I always mounted mine on a plate and hung it from the gunwale rope. I have moved six times since 1984 when I bought my inflatible so having permenant numbers on it is not acceptable.

There are some rubber suction cup looking "things" with a hole in the nub. These adhere to the boat using the appropriate adhesive for the material. The number plate then attaches to them. I have not seen any in a long while.

N

Have used Nemrods suggestion in the past. A thin piece of white plastic with 3'' letters. Attached by tie wraps to the gunwale rope. A thin piece of starboard may have worked better because the plate would ftry to flip up when we were running.

I have a trick that hasn't been mentioned yet...

I went to a t-shirt silk screen shop and got the same "ink" they use for silk screening. About 1 cup is more than enough to do the job. I cleaned the surface well, stenciled the outline of the registration numbers using a pencil, scratched the surface a little bit using some sand paper (working inside the lines) then "painted" the numbers using the silk screen ink. It lasted a VERY long time.

When our agency replaced the boat, we got some extra "fabric" (PVC, hypalon, etc) from the boat manufacturer and cut out the numbers, just like DONNIE (above) indicated. We glued them in place and that technique has worked well too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom