Atomic Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills:
As a further update to my earlier post. I love this mask but I do agree that the bridge part of the mask is an issue for me. I am going to try a few ideas but Atomic needs to fix this issue. Even when you equalize it eventually starts to cause pain.

As further update to MY earlier post about the mask touching the bridge of my nose, I threw caution to the wind and picked one of these up prior to a two-day diving trip out in California.

I have to say, I really liked it. Never had a problem with the mask touching/pressing bridge of my nose at depth up to 90ft. Very comfortable. In fact not sure if it has to do with the low-volume aspect of the mask, or the frameless design or the soft/wide skirt, but I felt ZERO discomfort due to squeeze with this mask.

My usual mask is a TUSA Visualator and I would notice squeeze constantly and have to equalize the mask quite often. Didn't seem to notice it with this mask. Also, didn't have "ring around the forehead" with the Atomic even after four dives one day. I also noticed a difference in terms of streamlining due to the low volume.

Hard to tell if the claims of better clarity of vision were true since I was not diving in familiar waters - were the colors truer or just different - but the field of vision was slightly better than the much larger TUSA, and I didn't notice any problems using it with a camera.

In my book, the worst case scenario is that the Atomic wins on comfort for sure, is better on field of vision, better in terms of low volume, and jury still out on color/clarity.

Worth the money.

Thanks for the update RJP
Interesting because I have the visulator as well, like it, and have no issues with it at all (other than it is a larger volume mask) but you say that the Atomic has an even wider field of view .. impressive

I have the black frameless. I love the field of vision it provides. I would have gotten the sub frame but the frameless fit my face better so I had to go with the one that had a better fit not what looked better.

thanks for all the great reviews- I'm going to pass this thread along to both bosses! Honestly, I've owned a dozen masks in the last 8 years and the Frameless Medium fit is hand-down the most comfortable and best viewing of any.
Any questions, you guys can email me direct.
Cheers,
Darcy
Atomic Aquatics

darcyatomic:
thanks for all the great reviews- I'm going to pass this thread along to both bosses! Honestly, I've owned a dozen masks in the last 8 years and the Frameless Medium fit is hand-down the most comfortable and best viewing of any.
Any questions, you guys can email me direct.
Cheers,
Darcy
Atomic Aquatics

No worries. What do we win? :wink:

I just bought a new frameless mask for me, my best friend and my son. I certainly hope they last because the fit is wonderful.

Usually I scrub a new mask with toothpaste so that it doesn't fog up. I;ve been told it is because of some coating on the glass.

Is this necessary with a new atomic mask?

bouteloa:
I just bought a new frameless mask for me, my best friend and my son. I certainly hope they last because the fit is wonderful.

Usually I scrub a new mask with toothpaste so that it doesn't fog up. I;ve been told it is because of some coating on the glass.

Is this necessary with a new atomic mask?

YES I bought it, then when staight from my dive shop to a dive, all I did was wash out the inside with water, no toothpaste. Needless to say I had serious fog. So use toothpaste or better yet pick of a bottle of McNett Sea Buff, which cleans mask very well.

Use some baking soda and an electric toothbrush. I did and never saw fog. I use fog not. Made from a guy in texas and does post sometimes on Scuba board, Used it all week in Bonaire in Oct and my masks never did fog up. You apply one time and it is good for about 3 dives

does the extra low profileness cause any difference in perceived distance/size? do fish now appear 50% bigger?

i still can't decide between subframe or frameless. both fit my face.

My experience with the frameless:

Spectacular field of vision (plenty of room for gauge readers without limiting un-magnified view)

No distortion or magnification through mask's lens.

Crystal clear, bright view

***BUT***

The fit must be perfect in order to prevent leaks. As mentioned in a previous post, the smallest amount of water in the mask can be a real annoyance. I found I had to position the mask relatively high on my face to get a good seal and even that was not always successful.

Also, I happen to have a very large honker and at times my poor nose felt a bit crushed by the end of a 75 or 80 minute dive, not on the bridge but in the fleshy part.

All that said, though I will continue to use the mask for its great view.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom