Manado recommendations wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well i think they have an affiliate in Bunaken if you want to transfer them there after some days. And they make all the arrangments for you so it shouln´t be difficult. Anyway, after you stay in Lembeh and see what you´ll see UW...you won´t want to move from there!

Any idea who that affiliate might be?

I know I won't want to transfer because I love muck diving! But for the sake of my marriage, I'll have to compromise a bit.

Hi Scubabum2,

I had two days off in Manado and spent a late afternoon, overnight and early morning at the Tangkoko Reserve, about an hour and a half from Manado. At dusk, I watched as the amazing, tiny, huge-eyed Tarsier apes popped out of knotholes in a large tree. At dawn the next day, large numbers of big apes tore through the trees, shredding leaves in wild play. Many were on the ground as well, allowing a close approach as they inspected us (one walked up to me and, while maintining eye contact, gently gnawed on my shoulder) or groomed each other. It was quite an adventure.

Safari Tours, and probably others, book these trips.

I spent my half day in Singapore wandering the amazing transit terminals (they're like upscale malls, complete with live entertainment, orchid gardens and free internet, massage chairs, sleeping rooms, etc.), ON a recent visit, though, my brother spent a day in town on a mini tour and said it was just great.

Regards,

Best,

Peter

All of the resorts cooperate with one another and will coordinate your transfers in both directions. If you want a hassle free plan, contact Jeremy, the owner of Manado Safaris. He's an expat w/ years of experience in Manado and also a very nice guy. He will set up your itinerary and make sure everything runs smoothly. If you want him to book Nomad, he can take care of it. Bunaken has the underwater scenery. Lembeh has the nightmare critters.
Singapore - you will arrive late in the evening. If you aren't tired, you can check out the hawker stalls, which are jumping at midnight. The next day, you will have to leave for the airport in the middle of the afternoon. There won't be a lot of time. If you are on the Singapore Stopover, you will have free bus transportation around the city. My suggestion is to hop on the bus, grab a window seat and check out the city w/o hoofing it. (The humidity outdoors is overwhelming). The round trip bus rise will take a couple of hours. Have your meals at the hawker stalls. The food is good and inexpensive.

Thanks for the recommendations Peter & Itlmi,

I'm really excited too about being able to visit Singapore, it sounds exciting and I think it would be a wise investment to get a Lonely Planet book just for the layovers. I checked out Manado Safaris website. Several of the package deals seemed expensive relative to the prices I've seen just looking on resort websites, but I will probably contact Jeremy to get a quote. Thanks for the tip!

I should have brought this up earlier on the thread, but I would be very interested in knowing whether Aroma & Nur are connected with Nomad. I haven't heard back from Nomad and won't even breach the subject of other shops I'm considering. I will say that I have no tolerance for shop bashing by dive professionals. Don't waste your time replying to the thread if that's your situation.

That´s no problem. Nomads will arrange transfer to Manado for you and then you can be picked-up by the other resort you choose. That´s how I did it last time.

Lembeh does have some nice corals and walls. You need to heard out further to the mouth of the Straits. Nice clear blue waters, with white sands @ Angel's Window or closer in, Nudi Retreat I and II. Futher out where the lighthouse is has some good diving as well. That is provided the boat is willing to go out because sometimes it can be windy and choppy.

Transfers are very easy in Manado. I once did a Lembeh - Gangga - Lembeh trip and the transfer point (most centralised) is the airport. Get the resorts to arrange pick-up and drop off from the airport.

I will let Julia know that your waiting for her reply when I see her online. Though I have not used her resort before it does come across my mind to visit there this year. They are a friendly couple from the conversations we had so far.

Singapore? Gosh... try the local food! All safe and nothing to be sorry about .. (perhaps the exta pounds you'll put on) If the timing is right, give me a tinkle, if I'm in town would surely like to meet up with SBer.. can catch a meal and drinks...while we are here.

Stay in touch!

P.S. In terms of Photo ops, Lembeh is much much better.. Bunaken is more towards WA shots and sometimes you have to struggle with camera and currents to shoot. Mainly drift diving there...with the big stuff sometimes swimming by.

Thanks again for the info! I-NSC, let's talk more as our trip gets closer and perhaps we can meet up with you on our stopover. I just heard back from Nomad and they do do have a competitive package with nice amenities.

Perhaps I should ask a totally different question with the conditions in Bunaken as you describe them. Are there any pretty coral gardens to be had in Lembeh? Even at a few sites?

scubabum2:
Thanks again for the info! I-NSC, let's talk more as our trip gets closer and perhaps we can meet up with you on our stopover. I just heard back from Nomad and they do do have a competitive package with nice amenities.

Perhaps I should ask a totally different question with the conditions in Bunaken as you describe them. Are there any pretty coral gardens to be had in Lembeh? Even at a few sites?
Oh yesh.... there are a few nice sites with beautiful corals with macro too.. and can satisify the both of you?

Nudi Retreat.. angel's Window... and those futher out all have nice corals and blue waters..
Julia should be able to help you for now.. she will be away next month ....I believe.
We'll keep in touch scubabum.

Thanks so much for all of the great information! We at least made our airline reservations but are still trying to figure out how we want to split our time between places. I-NSC, thanks for chatting with Julia. We're leaning toward staying with Nomad in Lembeh but probably won't finalize lodging until next week.

A friend in our UW photo club is having us over this weekend to see the Lembeh pics that they took at KBR last year and to chat about what to expect on our trip. We're excited!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom