so cal hunting info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MntbikerBamBam:
No no im not looking for their hidden spot, i just dont want to be walking out of the water with a catch and have fish and game writting me up a tickey. you know?
And hunting isnt my only goal, it just seems like it will be alot of fun.

Hunting is fun... I only hunt lobster, and the occasional wiley scallop. :rofl3:
(ok... no comments from the peanut gallery, they CAN be hard to spot!)

Glad you are thinking about doing the right thing before you do the wrong! QUite commendable! :wink:

Yes very unique ! doing the right thing

It is a great and wonderful sport. I have participated in it all my life and I still enjoy it!

I also hold the record for largest rock ever speared--- it was in excess of 30 tons... didn't count as a world record since I couldn't raise it or bring it to shore--but it was record size!

I currently have a letter to the editor in California Diving news regarding harvesting large lobsters--it has to stop for the sustained yeild of the panularis interuptus!

SDM

sam miller:
I currently have a letter to the editor in California Diving news regarding harvesting large lobsters--it has to stop for the sustained yeild of the panularis interuptus!

SDM

That always seems to come up. I feel fortunate to know the divers that I do. We all hunt in accordance to the "to big for bag, don't belong in it" rule. I really don't see the point of taking a 60-80 year old bug just to see how much chewier(from what I've been told) the meat is than a normal just over legal sized bug.

Billy

V read my letter to Dale-- You will recognize the damage done by the harvesting the big ones, especially the large females...May be before it is too late the divers will self govern if not perhaps the F & G.

FYI originally that is prior to 1955 there was a upper size limit---then it was discoverd that the lobsters are canibalistic so the size limit was removed--now the larger ones have been discoverd to be breeding stock-- and with unrestricted taking by divers!

Sad very sad...

sdm

i was kind of the same way, but then i realized how beautiful everything was underwater and didn't want to kill anything.......kinda. Lobster hunting is still awesome. I just think shooting something on scuba is kinda cheating. Free dive all the way. but this is coming from an avid fishermen. just my two cents

sam miller:
V read my letter to Dale-- You will recognize the damage done by the harvesting the big ones, especially the large females...May be before it is too late the divers will self govern if not perhaps the F & G.

FYI originally that is prior to 1955 there was a upper size limit---then it was discoverd that the lobsters are canibalistic so the size limit was removed--now the larger ones have been discoverd to be breeding stock-- and with unrestricted taking by divers!

Sad very sad...

sdm

I was having this discussion with Eric and Kevin from the Peace Dive Boat a few weeks ago. I ask the question why there isn't an upper size limit. I didn't think about the fact the the only poeple that take the big ones are divers. They can't fit into the traps so it's basically our fault. So sad to see such a positive thing used in such an eco-destructive manor. Great letter BTW.

Billy

BioNerd i was kind of the same way, but then i realized how beautiful everything was underwater and didn't want to kill anything.......kinda. Lobster hunting is still awesome. I just think shooting something on scuba is kinda cheating. Free dive all the way...."

I am a product of another time but always OC..

Note that you also have a bio degree-but it has been years-Do you agree with my letter to CDN?

by the way -- Where did you obtain your Bio degree?

SDM

MntbikerBamBam:
No no im not looking for their hidden spot, i just dont want to be walking out of the water with a catch and have fish and game writting me up a tickey. you know?
And hunting isnt my only goal, it just seems like it will be alot of fun.

The best way to avoid the ticket is to educate yourself as to fish identification, the size limits, seasonal and geographical limitations on what may be taken and what may not. The DFG website is an exellent resource for this. Shoot only whats legal and what you intend eat. One tip from a relative newbie to "fish shooting" (for u purists, lol, it's not like just cause you have a tank on ur back they stick themselves to your spear) is they look bigger underwater than they are. I thought I speared a good size fish once and after I measured she was only 1/2" over legal.

p.s. but before this, get your diving skills down pat.

Good for you!

I am a product of another time but always OC..

Note that you also have a bio degree-but it has been years-Do you agree with my letter to CDN?

by the way -- Where did you obtain your Bio degree?

SDM
I got my degree from long beach state
i completely agree. anytime the balance of nature is skewed, it takes much more effort to bring back that balance. We dont realize how long it takes something to grow an inch. Like halibuts....they take up to 20 years to group 22'' (legal size). There has to be an upper limit or else soon enough they will be endangered. so many species have been extinct or put on the ESL because of this exact thing. just my opinion
kiet

BioNerd:
i completely agree. There has to be an upper limit or else soon enough they will be endangered. so many species have been extinct or put on the ESL because of this exact thing. just my opinion
kiet

I concur, while not a bioligist or even close it should be obvious even to the layman. If you must catch a "super bug" for your ego than do so. Take a picture and release it. It will pay off in dividends for you and your proginy. just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom