Instructor Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbrooks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a brief search on the Board and failed to find any answers. So I'll post my questions here...

I'm looking at getting my instructor's certification and using it to work overseas while traveling.

1. What do you think the "best overall" agency is to take your IDC & IEC through?

2. If I become an SDI instructor, can I teach at a PADI resort/facility? Is there interchangeability through agencies such as this?

- PADI seems to have the most resort operations, would it be best (in terms of finding employment) to become a PADI instructor?

go PADI if worldwide employment opportunity is your goal.

Then if you personally believe in another agencies philosophy more teach it whenever you can and be an Evangelist if you so desire.

NAUI Tech and Rec Course Director
PADI MSDT
SDI/TDI Inst
ACUC Instr.

First of all I am a NAUI IT,so obviously that is where my loyalty is. Having said that, you will find employment easier if go you with PADI. Regardless of which agency you become an instructor for, as long as you ask yourself if you would want this person as a buddy before you sign their c-card you will do just fine.

I may prefer one agancy over another but it still comes down to the instructor. I know good instructors and poor instructors and agancy affiliation does not seem to be a factor.

Do instructor certs. carry over to other agencies?
i.e. Can I become an SDI instructor and work at a PADI facility?

sbrooks:
Do instructor certs. carry over to other agencies?
i.e. Can I become an SDI instructor and work at a PADI facility?

I am very sure you cant do that, but there might be a way to cross over, but you cant teach for a different agency then the one your with.

good luck.

You can certainly teach there as long as the place isn't a PADI 5start/IDC/CDC (PADI exclusivity) and if it is an SDI shop as well (SDI requires SDI instructors to be associated with an SDI shop); but you can only certify people as SDI.

As others have mentioned, being a PADI instructor in conjuction with another agency of your choice is your best choice as far as philosophy/marketability for most areas.

NAUI and other agencies give you more freedom to teach more courses as an Instructor compared to PADI.

Get your NAUI / SDI , then crossover to PADI. PADI is the way to go for pure numbers/job's go, but if you want some freedom to teach, tailor your courses some and go above the minimum standards, PADI isn't the way to go first.

And for the NAUI IT......AGHH!!! trtldvr... :) My Instructor course is starting next week. I'll let you know how my first set of lectures go in a couple weeks. Fun, Fun, Fun. The only thing in my favor is I've been more or less teaching for the past 5 years helping with lectures, pool and OW dives, not too worried.

SharkDiver36:
NAUI and other agencies give you more freedom to teach more courses as an Instructor compared to PADI.

How does that work? Please explain.

SharkDiver36:
if you want some freedom to teach, tailor your courses some and go above the minimum standards, PADI isn't the way to go first.

PADI doesn not restrict going above standards. This is widely spread misinformation.

SharkDiver36:
And for the NAUI IT......AGHH!!! trtldvr... :) My Instructor course is starting next week. I'll let you know how my first set of lectures go in a couple weeks. Fun, Fun, Fun. The only thing in my favor is I've been more or less teaching for the past 5 years helping with lectures, pool and OW dives, not too worried.
Good luck! Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom