Deco without C-card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Will the dive boat operators in California allow divers to do decompression dives based on logged experience or do they require certification? I know there are divers my age that have done deco dives before training was even available. Have they been forced by regulations to get a redundant card to validate their knowledge?

I received all my training and experience in Australia, and the local operators are extremely paranoid about letting people do anything they don't have a C-card for, regardless of experience.

The boats I've been on in So Cal don't monitor a divers profile. They usually make some sort of comment during briefings that 'you are certified divers. We don't monitor your profiles but if you need help planning your dive, come see us.' You do sign liability waivers before departing though. The boat also usually has a gate time and wants you to be back on the boat by a specific time. As long as you take that into consideration when planning your dives, I don't think that they would even be aware you were deco diving.

Frankly, I don't see why simple deco dives are such a major concern for divers with sufficient experience to know how to deal with a "hard" (or is it "soft?") ceiling. Most certified divers treat every dive as if it were a deco dive by doing the suggested 3-5 minute stop at 15-20 ft. Not in any way suggesting an OW certified diver with minimal experience should consider this, but I certainly did them as an OW certified diver (after a few decades!).

I've never had a dive boat check my computer to see whether I've gone into deco or not.

You really need the C- card. When you show up on a recreational charter with doubles and deco bottles your going to raise curiosity and suspicion, so it's likely you will be carded, that's if they let you do mandatory deco dives, which they won't for the most part.

Also, if a diver has the brilliant idea of doing planned decompression with a single tank, in hope of not drawing attention from the crew, well, then some would say, " you're farm animal stupid".

Dive safe,
Chris

Perhaps I need to clarify my question.

I don't know how deep the average dive is in California, but in Australia most of the wrecks are in 50-70 meters. I dive the the shallower wrecks with a single tank for descent and BT and a slung bottle for the ascent and deco.

For a planned dive to 50 meters, there is only ONE operator that will allow any diver to participate, REGARDLESS OF EXPERIENCE, without a deco and preferably an extended range C-card.

Fish Diver I feel your pain. You sound like you have had a lot of deco experience. Remember tho that you are now in the land of high powered lawyers waiting to pounce and thus dive Ops are very cautious. How long are you here for? Maybe you could take the time to take a course and get the c-card??

Good luck

Jay

I don't think I've been on a trip that had dive locations within reach of the boat deeper than 120ft, excluding the rigs. So from my limited experience this hasn't even been an issue. The only time I've seen someone get carded is when they're requesting nitrox, no matter what kind of gear confirguration they have.

Billy

All of the Santa Barabara and Ventura have an liability wavier you have to sign before they will take you out. I recall that at least some, if not all, have a line item stating that you agree not to perform dives requiring mandatory deco. So be sure to ask the boat operators about their policy before signing up.

Nils

Billy, for the love of Pete will you please cover yourself! I'm having avatar gag reflex issues.

-Ben

FishDiver:
Will the dive boat operators in California allow divers to do decompression dives based on logged experience or do they require certification? I know there are divers my age that have done deco dives before training was even available. Have they been forced by regulations to get a redundant card to validate their knowledge?

I received all my training and experience in Australia, and the local operators are extremely paranoid about letting people do anything they don't have a C-card for, regardless of experience.

There are no regulations. It's all up to each operator. I've been asked to show my trimix card in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom