New Blue Marlin Record...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockneed Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Whoa!

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=109253 (VIDEO HERE)

Fisherman's Record-Breaking Marlin Catch Caught On Tape

In the world of spearfishing one Jupiter, Florida, resident now has a pending new title: World Record Holder.

30-year-old Robert Arrington never expected to have people from around the world calling. That's what happens when you have the biggest Pacific Blue Marlin ever taken with a spear gun.

The catch came a few weeks ago 25 miles off Panama. Arrington, a freelance writer and photographer, boat captain, avid free diver and spear fisherman, jumped in to grab a view and possibly spear a few fish.

What came next left him and the spear fishing world in awe.

"All of a sudden I hear the rush of all the bait coming up, I tucked my feet down so I'm looking and all I see is the marlin's tail. After the fifth pass, here he comes, you can see I push my gun forward just like I would spear anything else," said Arrington.

And just like that it happened, one Jupiter man in the Pacific may have captured a spearfishing title.

"I'm looking at this fish going, 'Wow,'" Arrington said.

It took four people to hoist in the monster fish and it was all caught on tape. The stats are unbelievable: 11 feet 5 inches long and 480 pounds. It doubled the old Blue Marlin spearfishing record a year ago, which only weighed in at 278 pounds.

"I got him, it's something I'll dream about something I'll tell my kids about, hopefully my kids tell their kids," the diver said.

For this conservationist who lives his life on the water, and in the water, his day of honor has officially arrived and with it a place in the record books.

"This is a very special fish. I'll remember this the rest of my life and I probably won't spear another one, but I'll always remember this one," Arrington said.

Arrington is filling out paperwork with the International Blue Water Spearfishing Records Committee. The fish was cleaned and distributed to locals in Panama for consumption. A mold of it is being created for Arrington.

Holy cow that thing's huge!! He got a great shot placement on him or he would have seen his floats implode to the floor.

Awesome!

Knockneed Man:
For this conservationist

Conservationist and avid spearfisherman?

Anyway that aside that is one huge fish! Should feed about 10 people for a few days!

Pardon me if this sounds foolsih or ignorant, but I've read accounts of big billfish pulling fisherman overboard and dragging them to their deaths. Isn't it a bit crazy to spear an 11 foot fish capable of 45 mph swim speeds?

I'm aware that you can let go of the spear gun, but they do have lanyards for your wrist which could become tangled.

WOW.

Great for him as he'll probably enjoy free equipment for the rest of his life, but I would not have speared that fish knowing what I know now.

bvmjethead:
Pardon me if this sounds foolsih or ignorant, but I've read accounts of big billfish pulling fisherman overboard and dragging them to their deaths. Isn't it a bit crazy to spear an 11 foot fish capable of 45 mph swim speeds?

I'm aware that you can let go of the spear gun, but they do have lanyards for your wrist which could become tangled.

WOW.

Great for him as he'll probably enjoy free equipment for the rest of his life, but I would not have speared that fish knowing what I know now.

Watch the video again and you will see a float line with a torpedo float. That type of big fish hunting is done where the shaft is not connected to the stock of the gun after it is fired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom