Ah the insane procedures involved in returning home...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH:
You CAN still take food on the plane. If your food has any part that could be considered a liquid or a gel it might not be allowed due to the new liquid restrictions. Because of this there were a number of notices sent out warning about many pies, etc not being allowed as carry ons. This has caused some confusion but as long as your food doesn't consist of a liquid or gel you should be allowed to carry it on. There is one other reason that you might be told you can not take your food through security and that is if they think it is going to make a mess in the x-ray machine. As long as you don't try to put your unpacked sandwhich on the conveyor belt you should have no problem.

I have recently taken fresh fruit, pastries, and cliff bars on planes with out any problem.

~Jess

That will work until someone tries to blow up a plane with an exploding banana or a salami with a bomb in it, I guess...

On returning from Cozumel on Jan. 13th, Frontier flight to Denver, they announced and checked everyone's carry on bags for any food and liquor items. The only liquor allowed as carry on was from the duty free shop. My nephew had to relinquish a half a bag of pretzels he got at the grab and go. We went ahead and ate our sandwiches before boarding so they wouldn't go to waste. The gate attendant said that no food items were permitted. On previous flights on Frontier from both Cancun and Cabo last year we could take the food onto the plane but couldn't keep it. The flight attendants collected it on the plane. I remember one woman who had a bag of candies she had just purchased at the store in the Cancun airport and was very irritated that she had to throw them out. Are all airlines following this policy for International flights or is it just Frontier?

Nancy

Sounds like an airline rule. I just called Continental International desk, and she said no problem, but to check the TSA site, which I did Here.

And here is they're current rules on Duty Free carry-ons, with interesting exceptions for Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, and certain Canadian airports.

Then I found this page which address some confusion we had about duty free bottles coming from Cozumel in a discussion a couple of weeks ago.

DandyDon:
Then I found this page which address some confusion we had about duty free bottles coming from Cozumel in a discussion a couple of weeks ago.

Don, this page is concerning travel to and from Europe.

Christi:
Don, this page is concerning travel to and from Europe.
Yep, and that's why I didn't see this paragraph before...
If you are flying to the US and have a connecting flight, even duty-free liquids that meet US requirements will NOT be permitted through US security checkpoints. If you have a connecting flight, liquid duty free purchases must be placed in your checked baggage. Since you will be required to reclaim your checked bags prior to passing through customs inspection, you can place duty-free liquids into your bags and recheck it for your connection.
But it's a government site, typical that this info is not placed in other helpful areas... :shakehead

Just returned from Cozumel yesterday.

Flew American Airlines in and out of Coz.

At Cozumel airport, there were no searches of any bags at the ticket window.

Then we walked through security area where carry-on bags were checked by the machine/scanner on the conveyor belt and we walked through the people scanner.

Finally, at the gate, at the time for boarding, our carry-on bags were hand-searched.

Regarding booze, you could not have any booze in your carry-on bag UNLESS you purchased it from the airport duty free shop which is in the secure area. If you would purchase it there, the shop personnel would bring it to you as you boarded the plane. You could then have it with you on the plane in your carry-on bag. Once landing in the U.S., if you had any connecting flight, you had to transfer it from your carry-on bag to your check-in luggage as you would not be permitted to keep it in your carry-on bag for your U.S. flight.

Michael, it's been a few years since I was in Mexico. What is the limit on how many bottles you can bring back. It used to be two per traveler. Kaluha is dirt cheap in Mexico compared to here in Louisiana.

waynel:
Michael, it's been a few years since I was in Mexico. What is the limit on how many bottles you can bring back. It used to be two per traveler. Kaluha is dirt cheap in Mexico compared to here in Louisiana.
I think it's still 2 liters. I bought one for us to drink there for $10, but didn't bother trying to bring any back. Maybe it's cheaper some places; I did not shop around. I actually prefer Komora, which I get for under $15 a liter, I think, so I didn't care to add the extra 6 pounds plus breakage risk. Don't you still have to pay a non-duty tax? :confused:

cdiver2...Love you!!! Finally a man who understands....and agrees...and one who's wife will love him forever....

Back
Top Bottom