Maledive Resort for basic and advanced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JR_Strele

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife has 4 dives under her belt, I have 800. Which resort can you recommend in the Maledives for Feb 19-24, which would reasonably cater to both. I am interested in underwater photography. My last Maledives visit was 10 years ago in Bathalaa, which was fantastic. Thanks for your help

To your question... sorry- all I know is the liveaboard life~ although we did stop and visit 6 or 7 resorts. Due to the charcter and quantity of the diver guests, I can't imagine a more friendly area to take a "newbie" diver. They all seem to be well aquainted with handling divers who are just starting out.

Take advantage of this- as she would be a terrible dive buddy match for you, the photographer... for now. Let them take her on a guided chaperoned tour- while you go and play with the other photographers. If you do a dive with her- leave the camera in the room- pay attention to your best dive buddy.

The Maldives? It has changed a bit since your last visit. The Maldives fell out of favor with its stream of Euro-toursists because of the warm water's effect and coral bleaching (1997). Maldives still had a lot to offer even then, and now it has evolved into yet another phase of the ongoing changes that affect our reefs.

It is still the place to go for natural encounters with larger critters! Lots of wrecks, many, many islands- and a visit to the city of Male is a great thing. The way the airport operates and transfers is a mind blowing hoot.

Go, take a shot- but be kind, gentle and attentive to your new dive buddy- after you let the local DM Pro's take her out for 5 or six dives- you should stand clear! Ask the DM's to talk to her about signing up for a night dive class~ open her eyes!

Hi RoatanMAn;

thanks for the detailed information on how to handle a new diver. I had figured the leaving the camera home bit already.

RoatanMan, the name suggests you like that Island. I was at the CocoView Resort in April of 2005.

JR_Strele:
Hi RoatanMan; the name suggests you like that Island. I was at the CocoView Resort in April of 2005.

I do, indeed. We go a lot of places, but our home-away-from-home is Roatan's CoCoView, and you probably know why, as well.

I was the old bald guy in the Orange cotton overalls (cheap "dive" gear!) looking like a pumpkin. If I wasn't there during that particular week, you saw some of my artwork hanging about. We go there at least two weeks every year.

Let us know how the Maldives works for you. Although we only vistited from a liveaboard, these resorts looked wonderfuly idyllic. They are quite the unexplored treasure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom