Wetsuit In 4 Below

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NARCOSISOFTHERIVER

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I Am Going On A Lake Huron Charter This Weekend And I Am Using My 7mm One Piece Wetsuit. I Have Used It At Tobermory And It Was Fine Thru The Thermocline Into About 45 Degrees. Today Is The First Day I've Seen Ice On Southern Lake Huron This Year. (about 10 Degrees Colder?) Is There Anything I Can Wear Under It(it Fits Snug) Or Am I Just Going To End Up An Iceberg? Cheers, Narco.

Even with a hooded vest, you'd be cold. I dove MA waters early last season in upper 40s (7mm suit + 4/6mm hooded vest) and was quite cold after 30 minutes. Go dry.

I dive 5mm one piece with 3mm vest all year. In the cold months the water dips into the 40's at depth and it's not too bad.

Tolerance for cold water is what it comes down too....I've read about people using 7mm wetsuits in 80 degree water. You are the only one that knows what you are capable of...Good luck! :wink:

I'm fairly tolerant of the cold & dove a 7mm 2pc wetsuit in 42F water and froze my b*lls off. Try and get a drysuit.. At those temps hypothermia & loss of dexterity will hit you quick.

Divmstr223:
I dive 5mm one piece with 3mm vest all year. In the cold months the water dips into the 40's at depth and it's not too bad.

Tolerance for cold water is what it comes down too....I've read about people using 7mm wetsuits in 80 degree water. You are the only one that knows what you are capable of...Good luck! :wink:

Wow Divmstr223 you are exceptional.

To the OP with one of these over your 7mm full suit you will probably have your best shot at it. http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=003117&dept_id=57 I made a shore dive in such a suit and for the 25 minutes my buddy lasted I was still fine.

Going sub 40f you are really pushing it. If by charter you mean 2 dives of significant depth I'd stay home and put the money you save into a drysuit fund. You will be chilled, the surface interval will probably be brutal and your risk for DCS will be elevated.

You may be longing to dive but ask yourself if you really think thin will be fun and safe.

Pete

Wow. I wear a 7 mil farmer john (14 mil total core) and can get to around 45 before I start to freeze. I have an extremely low tolerance to cold though...
But either way, it does seem like 35 may be a little low to be diving wet. Remember that part of your face would still be exposed. I've had problems before with my lips going numb and me dropping the reg. Depending on your tolerance to cold, this may be a problem for you also.
If you can afford to dive dry, I've sure heard it's worth it. I, however, cannot due to being a poor recent college grad :eek:) Good luck and don't freeze!

I have been in water in the high 30's-low 40's in a 7mm wetsuit with a dive skin uderneath. In general I'm not tolerent of cold, but I survived with only mild hypothermia.
Although I'm glad I did it, I have no intention of doing it again. In fact, now that I'm considering returning to chilly waters, I'll be looking for a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom