dry periods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25:
lol lol lol the way it is for me though at home its tropics here its COLD

So where is school?

I'm in central Missouri, USA and many people around here still dive - dry. Not me yet, so what do I do....I'm going crazy. I too am trying to get all those chores done so when the warmer weather comes I don't have chores. Right now I'm remodeling our bathroom. However, yesterday I emailed the local community center and dive shop to see if anybody would let me dive in their swimming pool. Am I getting hard up or what? What an addiction, I wonder if a heroin addict has these same withdrawels?

S. Nagel

Nagel,

I see that you are doing some traveling. Many agencies (though not IANDT) have lifted the dive requirement for Nitrox. Getting that done over the winter could enhance your travel as your air consumption improves.

How about skin-diving laps at the local Y or public pool. I may restart that again very soon. Last year I'd do 20 minutes of hard swimming then slow down and work up to the full 25m along the bottom on a single breath. The sustained oral breathing with your chest in the water will tone your diaphragm and do wonders for your breath control and air usage, not to mention fitness in general

If you want to get some pool time and have a LDS that rents a public pool ask if you can buy in for some pool time. Last year they had 1/2 of the pool for a photography class with 3 or 4 students. They were happy to let 4 more of us help underwrite the pool cost at $15 a head. We stayed out of our way and had a blast. This provided the instructor in the water and liability coverage the pool required.

There may be a period as soon as the ice is out where you can enjoy a skin-dive on a local pond. It's neat to watch things wake up. That is almost sure to cramp proof you for the season. An hour or more out on a pond in the spring is a beautiful thing.

Be creative!

Pete

im in concord New Hampshire.... i've learned cold water = not fun for me... ill stick to the tropics... however i was thinkin of takin a jump in the pool but decided ppl would look at me like *** is this kid doing

jaybombs25:
im in concord New Hampshire.... i've learned cold water = not fun for me... ill stick to the tropics... however i was thinkin of takin a jump in the pool but decided ppl would look at me like *** is this kid doing

Well I can see where jumping in our water at this time of the year might be a challenge. It also becomes even more gear intensive if your are outfitted for tropical diving.

Don't hesitate to hit a public pool with your skin-diving gear. Getting neutral at 12 feet is a nice quick fix. Forget the others. They'll have all sorts of swimming aids and other gear of their own. If they say anything just say you are staying in condition for scuba diving and you will suddenly be cool.

Pete

jaybombs25:
Gadzooks! You went from St. Lucia to New Hamster?? :confused:

I fear your signature line is appropo ... :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lol i no frustrating isn't it ... the things people do for a good education lol lol
at least i get to dive allll i want on break.. i have my fins with me as a reminder of better days and a poster with my favourite dive site lol

I lasted as long as I could - it had been 3 months! The other day I got the jones so bad that I signed up for a refresher course just to get into the pool!

Just got back a while ago from the pool, and I think I'm set for at least another few weeks...

have you got your DAN scubaopoly game???

at least you can keep your skills up while your dry :D

501-3000.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom