Quick SMB/Lift Bag Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbrooks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought an open-bottomed SMB today - it has two lead slates on the bottom of it to it stay upright on the surface. It says "Diver Below" on it & would be about 4-5' long with a diameter of roughly 4"-5".
Would I be able to use this as a light-duty lift bag? Or are they not too interchangeable?

Thanks,

S.

To use as a lift bag, it should have a way to dump air so that you can control the buoyancy and prevent runaway ascents. An exhaust valve is typical. Also, the dump should be high up to be effective- all of the SMBs that I have place the dump at the bottom, which is great for deflating it at the surface, but is ineffective for dumping air underwater.

Also, a way to securely attach things to it would be useful too! If it's an SMB, it might have a little ring or loop at the bottom. Be sure it is sufficient to support whatever you attach there. It could be bad if the object fell off while you were midwater.

Lastly, these are some of the things that are covered in a Search and Recovery class or an Advanced OW class or equivalent. Good luck!

EDIT- I understand the idea of the lead slates, but it does seem like extra weight to lug around- if you are at the surface, you can hold it upright, and if you are using it as a flag/float/marker, you can keep a little tension in the line to make it stand proud.

Point taken - Thanks!
I didn't buy it to use as a lift bag (if I wanted a lift bag, I would have bought one) ... Just seeing if it functional as one in a pinch..
I'll use it for what its for.

Back
Top Bottom