Primary Regulator with a Necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.M.O.H.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
All:

I know that there is a pretty popular and useful DIR / TECH hose configuration where backup regulator is suspended from a divers neck by necklace made from a bungee or tubing… So this does not need a discussion (please? :blinking: ) and we all know that it is very useful in the variety of situation especially in the overhead and tech environments. This question is not about that and G-d forbid this is not a Rec vs Tech vs DIR discussion.

What I ‘d like to know what everyone thinks of using a necklace to hang primary regulator to prevent it floating away in case it is knocked out of a diver’s mouth by a fin or hand by other diver.I had this happen to me once and then it took me few seconds to fish it out. A few seconds is nothing but I still had to reach back, grab the hose, etc etc…. I guess if I had it on a necklace it would not have happen it would have been right there in front of me. Octopus in this case would be mounted in a “recreational” manner in a holder on the diver’s torso.

Thanks!

That was exactly what I was thinking too! Good call, but how do you thread the bungee thru the primary 2nd stage? Thru the exhaust valve? Are there any negativities associated with this technique? I dun wanna try to recover my reg when it gets kicked off WHILE I'm exhaling...

Suggestions?

nivla80:
That was exactly what I was thinking too! Good call, but how do you thread the bungee thru the primary 2nd stage? Thru the exhaust valve? Are there any negativities associated with this technique? I dun wanna try to recover my reg when it gets kicked off WHILE I'm exhaling...

Suggestions?
Well if it’s kicked out of your month you have to start exhaling anyway J.

I made a necklace out of surgical tubing and then I used a zip-tie to attach it to the regulator flange over the existing zip-tie that holds the mouthpiece in place. Then I tied off the ends of tubing to secure the necklace in place. (Did that make any sense?)

Cheers.

necklace.jpg

Primary does not need a necklace.

the only necklace is for your Octo.
Having it around your neck, you always know where it is in the event of an emergency. No need to reach around or on the side etc. It is in your face of sorts.

Making a necklace is very simple. The photo above is what it has to look like.

Get a bunggie cord or surgical tubbing. Avoid string or cord. It must be able to expand and contract alittle . We use Bunggie since it is in-expensive.

Wrap the bunggie around your neck where it hangs comfortably. IE: about 18 - 20 inches.

Enough to not choke you.

Now over lap each ends, say finger length.
Get two small tie wraps ready.
Attach one overlap end about 1/4 inch or so.. Now make a small O or oval just enough to pass two finger in. Attach the other end.

Your necklace is made. The regulator mouth peice fits snugly into the Oval opening.
This is why BUNGGIE or tubbing is used because of its springy-ness.

It has to be snug so it does not fall out while it hangs rom your neck. but it can be ripped out in the event of an OOA.

Does this make sence?

Safe dives
Stephen

1. The primary should be ready at all times for donation to your buddy. Having a necklace on it is likely to slow it down.

2. Getting a regulator knocked out of your mouth is not an issue that requires an equipment fix. There are ways to retrieve the regulator. In addition to this you can switch to a backup regulator while you retrieve the primary regulator.

Having the backup regulator on a necklace is popular for a reason. It is a tried and true method with lots of positive attributes. But if you want to look silly you can come up with all sorts of new gear fixes. For example why not dive with two wings or a light on your head? Attach some boltsnaps and other gear to that necklace and top it all off by diving with no tank :)

Well if it’s kicked out of your month you have to start exhaling anyway

Somewhat of a myth. As long as your depth is stable it doesn't really matter if you exhale or not.

I think that there are a few "standard" ways to donate air. As well, I think it's important to work through the specific situations that you may encounter.

One of those is the "donate while other diver is in a fricking panic". I haven't had that myself, but it sure sounds like they might try to get the reg in your mouth. Getting in a tug of war at that point seems dangerous.

Question: Why not go to a longhose setup? If your primary gets kicked out of your mouth, you've got a secondary bungeed under your chin. No worries. If a diver tries to get the reg out of your mouth, no worries.

Trying to come up with a 'new / different / much improved' way of doing something simple... not my personal cup of tea :)

Bjorn

O.M.O.H.:
Octopus in this case would be mounted in a “recreational” manner in a holder on the diver’s torso.

Why mount the octo where it can fall out of the holder just so you can necklace your primary? Having a necklaced octo doesn't make you a tech diver, it's just convenient. The octo doesn't come out of its holder unnoticed and end up under your tank/between your legs or worse, dragging the bottom.

Primary gets kicked out, put your necklaced octo in and then retrieve the primary. No biggie.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom