15,000 Shipwrecks in Ireland?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wow.. never thought of Ireland as an exotic scuba diving destination, but this article may change my mind.

DEFINITELY bring the drysuit, I'm thinking... anyone here dove on Irish shipwrecks?

D.

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=91058130672

Dublin, Ireland (2006-02-07 18:35:56 EST) Lustiania, the Cunard Line steamer sunk by a German U-boat off the coast of Cork in 1915 drowning all 1,200 on board, is one of the most famous shipwrecks in Irish waters. But a new study has discovered that the seas surrounding Ireland are littered with evidence of thousands of other maritime tragedies, with as many as 15,000 wrecks resting on the seabed.

Following one of the most extensive research programmes ever carried out by underwater archeologists, the number of wrecks discovered has soared from an initial examination six years ago of just 7,000 vessels.

A search of Lloyd’s List, the shipping insurance newspaper, has discovered 12,000 references to Irish wrecks going back centuries. A list of 11,000 has been compiled by the Department of the Environment’s underwater archaeology unit.

Separately, the Irish National Seabed Survey (INSS) has found more vessels on its scans. It has identified the decaying remains of more than 100 shipwrecks around the Donegal coast alone.

Karl Brady an archeologist with the INSS said: “We are coming across more and more wrecks as we go along. At the moment we are planning to sort and co-ordinate all the information on a computer database and that should give us a clearer picture.

“When we get it all on a database we will be able to analyse it better. We estimate we will eventually have up to 15,000 wrecks on the inventory.”

Brady said the wrecks will range from prehistoric times up to 1945 and will include dugouts, Viking longships, sailing vessels, steamers, great liners and wartime sinkings.

There are thousands more wrecks from ancient times that will never make it on to the inventory. “There is a lot of information for the 19th century and there is some for the 18th, but once you get to the 16th century and to medieval times we have very little information,” said Brady.

The research is providing new details about the ships’ cargo, the fate of passengers and crew, and attempts at salvage. “There are extraordinary stories, and survivor accounts provide a more personal and human aspect of the tragedies,” he said.

The shipwreck research project is not only leading to the discovery of previously unknown vessels but is also providing fresh details about a range of known wrecks.

The HMS Looe was a very unusual Williamite warship that was only a year old when it was sunk at Baltimore in Co Cork in 1697. The ship was patrolling off west Cork guarding against a French invasion and pirate raids.

Connie Kelleher, an underwater archeologist, said the Looe was a prototype man-of-war known as a “one and a half-decker”. Only 34 of them were ever built. After it ran aground on rocks the captain was court-martialled but acquitted. About 10 of the Looe’s cannons have been discovered.

La Trinidad Valencera, which sank off Kinnagoe Bay in Co Donegal in 1588, was the fourth largest ship in King Philip II of Spain’s ill-fated invasion armada. A requisitioned merchant Venetian galley weighing 1,100 tons, it was used to carry armaments, particularly large bronze siege guns that would have been used against British towns and cities if the invasion had succeeded.

Discovered by members of the Derry sub-aqua club, many artefacts have been recovered. Cannon and carriage wheels have been exposed on the site.

The underwater archaeology units are investigating several other Spanish armada wrecks. These include La Surveillante, the most important and probably the best preserved wreck of its kind in Irish waters. It was part of the ill-fated French expedition to support the United Irishmen and sank off Bantry Bay in Cork in 1797.

The most significant find of recent years is The Great Lewis which sank off Waterford harbour in 1645. Archeologists are almost certain the wreck, which is intact in the sand and silt, was Oliver Cromwell’s flagship and claim its importance “cannot be overestimated”.

The details on the discoveries will be kept on the unit’s archive and an inventory published in four volumes.

Humm... they don't give depths, so we don't know how many are div-able, but that's still amazing.

Ireland isn't just about Orkney Island, then. I'm destined to dive those Orkney WWII wrecks. My wife wants to go to Ireland and keeps sending me links about the diving at Orkney to try to get us to go. If we ever had the finances...

Rick Inman:
Humm... they don't give depths, so we don't know how many are div-able, but that's still amazing.

Ireland isn't just about Orkney Island, then. I'm destined to dive those Orkney WWII wrecks. My wife wants to go to Ireland and keeps sending me links about the diving at Orkney to try to get us to go. If we ever had the finances...

http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/subindex.htm

Rick Inman:

Yeah, the Orkney Islands are off the very northern tip of Scotland, and the wrecks are from World War One, not World War Two. Scapa Flow, the natural 'harbour' within the Orkneys, is where you get to dive the remnants of the German World War One fleet – three 600ft, 36,000 ton battleships (Mark Graf, Konig and Kronprinz Wilhelm) and four 580ft, 6,000 ton cruisers (Karlsruhe, Dresden, Coln and Brummer). One of the only places in the world you can dive battleships from WWI, and they are very interesting, believe me. Yes, you need your drysuit, but superb diving. I've made the trek up to the Orkneys several times and it is amazing.

I've also dived several wrecks in Ireland – the Kowloon Bridge, which is the largest wreck in northern Europe and is a supertanker (though plans are afoot to salvage it, which would be a damn shame), a couple of German U-boats, etc. These are all in 45m or less.

The Lusitania sits in deeper water, certainly 70m or more, but is a favourite of tech divers. A year or so ago, Hal Watts brought the American owner of the wreck over to dive it.

Mark

You can find many dives (pubs) and wrecks in Dublin during football weekends.

In all fairness, wrecks are everywhere and given enough of a maritime history you could probably say the same thing about every coastal locale. However, the artilce is intriguing.

Personally, during a business tour in Ireland I didn't find much in the way of dive businesses there, or kit hire. However, I was hampered by time. I would love to dive the Lucy.

X

I haven’t visited any wrecks nearby, but the life beneath Irish seas is quite amazing.
If you were to come over I would most certainly recommend Strangford Lough, it’s supposedly one of the best dive sites in Europe.
strangfordof1.jpg

A drysuit is a must.

I leave tomorrow night for Dublin. I have been debating whether I should bring my dive gear. I have struggled to find a charter outfit operating this time of year on the East Coast of Ireland.

Would appreciate any help/suggestions!

--Matt

Yeah, you are out of the normal diving season at this time of year, but some of the dive centres do operate all year around.

Check out www.diveinireland.com, they do boat diving all year around on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings.

Also, visit: www.tempoweb.com/diveireland/

Hopefully might find something useful.

Mark

You'll be lucky to find anything this time of year there. My dive area is the irish sea across the water from Ireland (about 80nm) and have had to cancel 18 planned dives since beginning of December due to bad weather. The record mild winter is giving record wind and rain.

15,000 wrecks sounds fair - i think a similar project said the UK has abot 20,000 which again would be about right.

The better diving in Ireland is off the South/West of the country rather than around Dublin.

Oh and as others have said, the Orkneys are part of scotland not ireland - different country and about 500 miles away

Back
Top Bottom