Votes: 37 49.3%
  • OMS

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Halcyon

Votes: 15 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
I've seen people say that a blackplate can add stability (not sure if true), and it would at least take some of that weight off those pockets.

Floater: What style BC do you use?

I dive single tank (HP120) in thick neoprene and "cold" water. I greatly prefer the DR Travel wing or the DSS. I'm not a big fan of the Rec wing either.

My Transpac is pretty new... only 40-50 dives on it so I'm not familiar with the older style pouches. Regarding the new style, I wouldn't consider them a PITA? I have the Travel wing (30lb) which is just fine. If you're diving mostly singles in warmer waters a smaller wing would work just fine too.

I recommend trim weights. Trim weights not only help with trim but using them means you'll need that much less weight in the weight pouches or on a belt.

If you're using a single tank in warm water and you don't feel the TP is stable then you don't have it adjusted right.

The bellows pocket is pretty big. I have the mesh pocket too and although I bought both of those I've yet to use either. I have 1 Clipper pocket on the belt and that's all I need.

*Floater*:
I currently use bp/w with hog harness. Why?

I thought you were a bp/w user and when you said: "I've seen people say that a blackplate can add stability (not sure if true)...." I thought I would confirm what I thought and it also made me wonder why you never thought the bp/w added to your stability.

I use 3 DSS wings

ive recently switched from transpacII with rec wing to SS BP with oxycheq 30# signature series. i must say that oxycheq 30# SS wing does NOT fit on DR TranspacII, the cam slots on the wing are two close together. as for the DR trek wing it doesnt really feel any different from the rec. Do you use those yellow bag inserts for your weight pouches?

Don Janni:
I thought you were a bp/w user and when you said: "I've seen people say that a blackplate can add stability (not sure if true)...." I thought I would confirm what I thought and it also made me wonder why you never thought the bp/w added to your stability.

I meant I wasn't sure whether or not a backplate would add stability over a transpac since I haven't used one of the latter. And yes, with a correctly adjusted harness my backplates have been perfectly stable. In fact, I imagine a correct size, correctly adjusted transpac should also be perfectly stable with single tanks. As I said earlier, I've seen comments that the transpac wasn't stable enough for some people, but now as I think more about it those comments were probably by people who had switched to a rigid plate to get more stability for doubles diving.

To the OP, the wing should not be the cause of instability per se. Now a wing can impact your trim (when not empty) causing you to tilt head down or up when just hovering there and making you feel unstable because you need to fight it to stay in good horizontal trim. If this is the case then you can try to correct it by moving the wing up or down (rig allowing) or moving weights up or down, and perhaps in your case by tightening the bungees over the part of the wing that's exerting too much lift. For example, if the wing tilts you head down then try to tighten the bungees at the bottom so they'll squeeze more gas out of there. I know this is possible with some bungee wings, but I'm not sure if that's how the rec wing bungee system works.

If it's not the wing, then it's the transpac which may be the wrong size for you or you may not have the straps on tight enough.

Bruce3:
i must say that oxycheq 30# SS wing does NOT fit on DR TranspacII, the cam slots on the wing are two close together.
Sure it does, but you have to use an STA and the DiveRite stabilizer plates. If you want to use cam bands only, then no... it won't work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom