Pinky thingy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone help me identify this pink critter as precisely as possible?. Pic was taken on the Castor wreck in Boynton, Florida at a depth of about 100'. It was in march 2006 during the afternoon.

egagnon20.jpg

Thanks

Appears to be a closed up anemone. Beyond that I can't tell, 'cause I need to see what's "behind the curtain."
Rick

What Rick said.

Thanks guys, I tought it might be an anemona but didn't think about the fact it might be closed. Do they usually close during daytime and open at night?
And do colors mean something about the specie or is it a non significant criteria?

wardric:
Do they usually close during daytime and open at night?
And do colors mean something about the specie or is it a non significant criteria?

Most anemones (that I know of) don't exhibit the specific sort of diel behavior seen in hermatypic corals. Tentacular contraction seems more cued to animals that are "full", environmentally stressed, or just acting goofy. At least that's how all my aquarium specimens behave.

Column and tentacle coloration can be a useful diagnostic for some species, but it's not considered by taxonomists a primary identifier. For that, histological examination is required, particularly of the mesenteries.

I've never seen a red-colored anemone like yours. Lucky.

The color suggest "Florida Condy" or [SIZE=-1]Condylactis gigantea. What stops me from sticking to that is the arrangement. Condys are aggressive and are not found in [/SIZE]connected clusters. That being said, the search goes on.

I had a Condy once and it would act this way just becuase. No other reason, just "because." Same color trunk anyway.

Rocha:
It is a cup coral, genus Tubastrea.

Yup. I should have zoomed in on those stupid orange tentacles stashed on the side. I thought those oral surface's looked mighty odd for an anemone...

Screwed by an exotic species once again. This makes the THIRD time this species has bushwhacked me. You rock, Luiz.

Back
Top Bottom