Drift Diving - anything to it? (in FL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone with only 10 dives should consider using a DM on most of their dives, especially ones in unfamiliar territory requiring unfamiliar techniques.

Drift diving is not like climbing Mount Everest, but it does pose unique challenges. Bouyancy control, free ascents/descents, air monitoring, not to mention getting found once you hit the surface.

Besides, a DM is more than a baby-sitter. They give you an opportunity to see someone with more advanced skills in the water up close and personal. They also provide an excellent source of local information, especially underwater, showing you things you may otherwise miss.

Get the most out of your dive - go with a boat that puts a DM in the water.

Steven

Cool. Thanks everyone. Now that you've thoroughly freaked me out :eek: (just kidding), I think I will get a DM to go in with us. A couple of places said they can throw an entire package together for $85 or less. I'm sure it'll be money well spent.

What are you getting with the $85 dollar package?

I'm used to a 2 tank drift dive being in the $35-$60 range.

What area you looking at and what ops you looking at going with?

Yongjun,
You might want to consider picking up a safety sausage if you don't already have one. Most reputable boats in the area will have no problems watching you during your dive, but as this type of diving may be new to you, the x-tra bit of preparation may help in case you get separated. The area can become rather busy at certain times of the year/day and if you add a little bit of a rolling wave.... well you get the picture.
It's a simple, inexpensive piece of safety equipment.

my .02

-Crispy

Wendy, I think he is including gear rental/tanks/weights in the package figure. It add$ up fast.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
Wendy, I think he is including gear rental/tanks/weights in the package figure. It add$ up fast.

Yes, that's right - I don't have my own tanks, weights, BCD, and regulator. The prices I've mentioned include rental equipment which adds an additional $25-40 or so. It's almost like skiing when you have to decide between (1) biting the bullet and buying your own equipment or (2) to keep on renting because you don't know if you'll go enough times to justify the price (especially since I'm living in Chicagoland). If you know of any other good operators that are a good value, please let me know...it seems that the aforementioned outfits are all pretty good. Divemaster prices seems to range from $0 to $75! Hey any of you local experts want to show us some stuff at a discounted price on March 21 :) ?

KeyLargoBrent once bubbled...
and let him/her know that you want to credit the dives toward your advanced certification. You'll learn how to drift safely, and you'll know what to expect, and how to conduct yourselves, before hitting the water.
That's a good idea...I might just do that...and I may even see you or Cary down in Key Largo :)

I agree! Safety sausage is a must. I would never dive that area w/o one. if you get seperated from the DM the captain needs to be able to see you. Inevitably someone always ends up away from the group.

By the way what kind of package are you getting for $85? That's outrageous if it is just a 2 tank package. Try Diving Solutions in WPB. $40 for a 2 tank dive....$14 more if you rent their tanks. Can't go wrong with these folks!

Dave

www.therampage.com

And i believe that they also rent gear. If not Force E scuba is on the corner (kinda) 2 blocks from the boat and Sea Pro scuba is about 5 blocks.

A great op and they put a DM in the water with you

http://www.divingsolutions.com/

Only down side for you $95 - for full gear and trip.

Oh - and if you do get down to Largo - Definitely hook up with Brent - we did a few weeks back to some instruction - great operation and really nice folks - perfect for you as a beginner!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom