Micronesia's "Truk" WWII wreck Paradise...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just finished checking out the photos from a board members trip to "truk" and I'm so jealous i could just....GEES!! Has anyone else had the chance to dive this gem? I'm assuming having technical certifications is a big plus for this one, as many of the wrecks are in depths past the normal recreational limits? If anyone has any stories id love to hear them. This will be my "dream dive" goal until i dive it.....WOW

Scuba-Jay

I was there in September 06 and am returning this March-- the best diving of my life. Most of the wrecks, maybe a dozen, are average depth of around 90' with a couple of worthwhile ones at 120-170'. There are maybe 4 interesting dives in the 60' range. The deeper ones (over 100') are not needed to enjoy the trip, they are just a little better preserved and have some neat cargo. All of the wrecks are covered and surrounded by fascinating sea life, unlike the ones here in the harbor in Guam.

Diving within NDL's is no problem on the majority of the wrecks... the others obviously would require some training and a redundant air supply as these are planned decompression dives.

If you plan a trip to Chuuk, try do it sooner rather than later as the wrecks are slowly deteriorating, both from diving and natural causes.

No trip has ever made me come home and go on a gear upgrade frenzy, just so I could be better prepared for the next visit (to better dive some of the deeper wrecks.) It opened my eyes to a lot of things and I learned a lot about diving on that trip and in the few months since then.

A must read if you are planning a trip is "Hailstorm over Truk Lagoon" by Klaus Lindemann, they have it on Amazon.

mthirsc,

Since i saw this guys photo album from his trip i cant stop thinking about it. What an experience! I think id def want the extra bottom time on a site like this. Did you take any pictures?

J

heres a link to an expedition run on truk in 2003...wonder if all those artifacts are still there today??

I'm headed there in November this year for a week on the Truk Odyssey and then a week at Truk Stop. Can't wait, this should be an awesome trip!

J,

Unfortunately I have no photos... If you are looking for BT a good course to take would be TDI Deco Procedures, preferably with Advanced Nitrox. Though I did not use any nitrox there due to price. The artifacts are still there... at least the ones mentioned in your link. The depths listed in that article are a little deceiving, most wrecks have an avg depth well below 100 ft, exceptions being the San Fran, Oite, and Hoki Maru. There are several good dives above 100 not listed, including the Heian Maru, the Gosei Maru. and others.

Warren, you'll love it! I dove through Blue Lagoon last time and will do so again on this coming trip but I hear the Odyssey is excellent. Not sure who your companions will be, but communicate your skill level and diving expectations (in terms of depth) ahead of time since they probably get a varied mix of experience levels on the Odyssey. Also, I hear the Oite Destroyer at 220 ft is spectacular... not sure if you have a line on some trimix there, everyone I talked with dove it deep air.

Hi!!
do you know how much does a dive cost more or less in Micronesia?

ciao, Marco

Scuba-Jay , the BP/w is probably looking better and better now.

I dove on the Odyssey two years ago. It was the best diving of my life. The Odyssey allowed us to dive at our leisure and as many as five dives per day/night. Nitrox was included as well. The wrecks were all fantastic! not just because they were largely all intact and full to the gills with tons of cool cargo, munitions, and even a bone or two. The best part for me was the fact that the sea life was as abundant as on any reef dive I've ever done anywhere. Many on the wrecks that sat upright had masts that extended all the way up into safety stop range, allowing great fish and coral peeping right up until the end of the dive.

Al

Scuba-Jay:
Just finished checking out the photos from a board members trip to "truk" and I'm so jealous i could just....GEES!! Has anyone else had the chance to dive this gem? I'm assuming having technical certifications is a big plus for this one, as many of the wrecks are in depths past the normal recreational limits? If anyone has any stories id love to hear them. This will be my "dream dive" goal until i dive it.....WOW

Scuba-Jay

I'm going to Truk/Chuuk and Yap in March. Truk has long been a dream destination for me since I first got certified. A great book on Truk is Dan E. Bailey's "World War II Wrecks of Truk Lagoon." It's colorful and nicely bound. Lindeman's book, while informative, was a bit dull in comparison and duplicated all the info in Bailey's book. If you're on a budget get Lindeman's book becuase it is cheaper.

mad:
Hi!!
do you know how much does a dive cost more or less in Micronesia?

ciao, Marco

looks like the liveaboards are around $2500 for a week....probably less from land (but you will get less dives).....the airfare is a killer though - from the US it is about $2500 ! (not sure from Europe, but i'd guess a similar amount)

..but I have definately pencilled in a trip there in the next couple of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom