Scary divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I went diving Sunday at a site I have never dove before. I missed the group I was planning on diving with, an LDS based fun dive. Instead, I found two guys who were gearing up and asked if I could join them as a third. They agreed, and I found that they were newly certified, though one had previously been a recreational diver, at least dedicated enough to have had a dry suit before.
So, this was their first dive with new drysuits, and they hadn't been through the LDS orientation yet- so one experienced, one no experience. They said they were going to spend some time messing around in the water first.
So, we got in the water, and the more experienced one drops down and moves off, without any notice. I waited around, as I like to do full buddy checks and familiarize myself with each other's equipment.
Buddy #2 needed some more weight, and buddy #1 returned, so #2 tells us to just go on, he'll catch up (remember, he just passed OW!) We decided to wait, but #2 takes off without us as soon as he's in the water. I ask #1, how do you relay tank pressure, by hand signals in 5s? He says, "I don't know, I never thought about it." Well, I figure we better go find #2, so we drop down, find him, and they both start kicking up silt all over. I swim forward around the cloud, and try to remain in between them, to avoid losing either of them...and promptly lose #1. #2 and I surface, find his bubbles, and rejoin him on the bottom...and lose him again within 5 minutes. We proceed to about 35', when #2 holds up his gauges, which show he has 2000 left in his al80. Then, within a minute, I lose him as well. I hang pretty close to the spot, then decide I better start moving toward shore as I don't want to surface too far out. I reach shore, and look up to see both of them sitting on the picnic table with their gear. "You had more bottom time than us" is their only response.
They're heading for Mexico this week. Hopefully the vis will allow them to at least stay in the same ocean. They scared the crap outta me. I've got to find a regular buddy.
gomi_

Herding cats is no fun, is it?

That's a scary situation. I must say that I'm glad I have a few regular buddies that can be relied upon not do pull dumb crap like that.

Gomi, come out and dive with me and my friends one of these days. We may be annoying in many ways, but we dive to stay found, as my dear friend Claudette would put it.

Been there done that , wont dive with him again.

Herman,

How are you? It's been awhile since I visited the Board and things have changed on it...except for the stories. As the French say, the more things are different, the more they are the same.

Scary divers will always be with us...that is why I dive with my regular buddies--religiously.

joewr

Hi Joe,
Welcome back, not too many of the old timers are still here or active at least. The stories don't change.....we just have tons more of them these days.
I try to dive with know buddies when I can but there are times it just does not work. I just plan the dives accordingly.

Herman,

I kept this list--you and I are on it--you, very prominently:

King Neptune 7-13-2000
Lady Diver 7-14-2000
Herman 7-19-2000
Rainreg 7-20-2000
Natasha 7-24-2000
Iguana Don 9-5-2000
BillP 9-16-2000
Greg G 9-17-2000
Dr Deco 9-20-2000
Walter 9-25-2000
rcohn 9-25-2000
John Reinertson 9-25-2000
Dee 9-26-2000
mario s caner 9-28-2000
Submariner 9-29-2000
Rick Murchison 10-13-2000
Warhammer 10-24-2000
scubadoc 11-16-2000
DEEPSEA 11-28-2000
Scubababy 12-11-2000
joewr 12-19-2000
Remora 12-27-2000
mattiedread 12-29-2000
NetDoc 01-20-2001

I think mario posted this list back when--we sure got on early. I cannot remember how I found the site, but it certainly did grab me.

Nice to talk to you again,

joewr

This is why I interrogate --- I mean, have friendly discussions -- with potential buddies about recent dives and experience before I get in the water with them.

You did that here, but the prospect of a novice trying a new dry suit with no training would have scared me away, after suggesting he/she take a basic course, perhaps.

I've done enough 'pick up' dives with people I don't know to consider passing on potential rescue opportunities.

Yep, had a similar experience. Found a guy here looking to dive. I invited him to the club and met up with him at the dive site. All brand new expensive gear. We did a dive brief, and hit the water.

The guy was going along okay for about five minutes. Then suddenly he was gone. After scanning about, he was walking on the bottom at @60ft. Went down to make sure everything was okay, had him put some air in his BC and started back up. He disappears again, on the surface this time. I go up and find he put too much air in his BC. He lets it out and down to the bottom he goes. One more time trying to get him stable and back he goes to the surface. This time he's got blood in his mask. Killed the dive.

I and a couple of guys recommend going back to the dive shop and getting more training, because obviously he cannot maintain any semblance of bouyancy. Didn't see him for a couple of months. He shows up again. Fully expecting that he had gotten additional training, perhaps a PPB class, we head out again. This time is goes to the surface. We get him back down and he shoots past me like a bullet and is walking on the bottom again. He came up with blood in his mask and I kill the dive again.

After doing some investigating with the shop he purchased his equipment from, and hence, giving one of their instructors and ration of ****, he tells me that no one ever heard of him before. Seems he went on a trip, got a three day certification and figured cold water diving was just like the pool.

I'm waiting to see if he followed up with said instructor for a PPB class. Makes for good training experiences, eh? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom