Any reason not to use an MK2/R380 as a deco reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know much about scubapro regs, but have a chance to pick one of these up cheap..

I'm using basically the same thing, Mk2/R190 for my deco tanks. The 380 is just a smaller version of the second stage.

MD

Oring-

It's SCUBAPRO'S low end 1st/ 2nd combo. They are fine regulators, if not very high performance. Simple piston design, easy to rebuild.

chickdiver once bubbled...
Oring-

It's SCUBAPRO'S low end 1st/ 2nd combo. They are fine regulators, if not very high performance. Simple piston design, easy to rebuild.
...spending some extra money to get the mk16 or mk18 instead of the mk2? They will probably live on an o2 bottle if that makes a difference..

O-ring once bubbled...

...spending some extra money to get the mk16 or mk18 instead of the mk2? They will probably live on an o2 bottle if that makes a difference..

I'd leave it as is. It'll be fine for your deco bottle.

WW

O ring-

it depends on how long you think your deco is going to be. I prefer to have higher performance regs on my deco bottles, but deco can sometimes be long, and high performance regs make long decos more comfortable. A well tuned Mk2, should be just fine for short decos. If the price is right, I would take it, you can always sell it and upgrade later if you decide to.

I used a MK2/R190 combo for a while as my only regulator. Never had it below 100 feet, but it's a great and reliable regulator. Every dive this winter, someone would have to get out of the water because their reg froze. Mine never had any problems.

That being said, I don't do any technical diving, so take what I said with a grain of salt (or is that spoonful of sugar?).

Eric,

The Mk2 is a good 1st stage. It's unbalanced but it still breaths well. They are bulletproof for sure. I have an R380 2nd stage, also unbalanced, that I use as my backup reg. Breathes great, probably the same as your Apex. If you are using the Mk2 for shallower deco, it should be fine. For a little bit more you can get a Mk16/R380.

How much are you looking to spend?

The mk2/380 is a fine low end regulator as you have already heard from many people. At one time it was a good regulator for deco stops. However Scubapro no longer supplies a O2 kit for the Mk2 which makes it almost useless as a regulator for deco stops as you can not use it with gas mixes above 40%. The 380 would work fine for this purpose

Hope this is useful information to you.

Tom

Scubapro no longer supplies a O2 kit for the Mk2
That won't stop me from using it with high Fo2 mixes... :wacko: ...but thanks for letting me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom