Maine Diving/Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been reading one of the threads on lobster diving in Mass. I learned you need to be a resident of MA to get a permit. Does anyone know about Maine? Can a non-resident get a permit in Maine? If yes, does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to go for a catch. Also, can anyone recommend a good shore or charter dive in Maine? I live in central NY and thought I'd try a trip to the north this summer. Sorry if you have already covered these topics - I am new to the forum. Thanks!!:bounce:

While I worked on a schooner out of Rockland, ME we were anchored near an island that had a bunch of traps surrounding it. There were a couple of divers submerged when a lobsterman approached his traps and proceeded to haul one of the divers up by the flag line. The moron actually had a catch bag with lobsters in it. (I'm not making any of this up) The lobsterman reached forward of the wheel, grabbed a 12 gauge shotgun and fired a round into the water about 10 feet from the diver's head. A shouting match ensued and the diver finally figured out that he was in a no win situation and got his buddy and left.

It's not worth it and what I just described wasn't an isolated incident.

Come on down to MA and we could have some fun (without shotguns):D

Thanks for the info. I'm not too surprized about no lobstering in ME, living in NY we are regulated to death. But, if the lobster numbers are down I guess you have to cut somewhere.

From what I've been reading it sounds like you either need to live in Mass. or head for the Keys.:rolleyes:

Scubapest once bubbled...
From what I've been reading it sounds like you either need to live in Mass. or head for the Keys.:rolleyes:

I've heard my share of shotgun brandishing lobstermen in massachusetts as well... :eek:

Although one thing to keep in mind. You can't take lobsters in Maine, nor in New Hampshire. With the correct licenses, you can take lobsters in MA, RI, NY [not sure about CT.... do they even have water? :)]

You don't have to be a mass resident to take lobsters from mass. You have to be a mass resident [or property owner] to get a lobster diving license. If you are on a charter boat that has a license that covers the divers on their boat; then you can take lobsters when diving from that boat under their license. This holds true in RI and NY as well. Just ask the captain if they have a lobster license, and if so; have the captain or crew brief you on the procedures [for both the state and the boat]. (For example; some boats will allow you to bring up shorts and eggers, and will throw them overboard. Some boats want you to measure and check when hunting, and only doublecheck when you return to the boat).

Just no lobsters... Had a big die off... wouldn't be worth the effort. So sad, pollution sucks.

Spectre once bubbled...

You don't have to be a mass resident to take lobsters from mass. You have to be a mass resident [or property owner] to get a lobster diving license. If you are on a charter boat that has a license that covers the divers on their boat; then you can take lobsters when diving from that boat under their license. This holds true in RI and NY as well. Just ask the captain if they have a lobster license, and if so; have the captain or crew brief you on the procedures [for both the state and the boat]. (For example; some boats will allow you to bring up shorts and eggers, and will throw them overboard. Some boats want you to measure and check when hunting, and only doublecheck when you return to the boat).

I wasn't sure that your info was right so I called MA Division of Marine Fisheries.

1.EVERY person diving for lobster must have a license. No such thing as a "boat license"

2. No Captain can "authorize" you to lobster dive from his/her boat.

3. You must be a MA resident or own property to get a license. Non-residents cannot lobster dive legally

To quote the woman I talked to when I told her what had been written, "Really? Well, let them talk to an EPO and lose their gear" They are VERY interested in knowing the name of the boat that allowed you to do it.

I don't want anyone to get pinched and I'm sure that you were mislead by the Captain. I'd hate to see anyone get fined or lose gear.

decapoddiver once bubbled...
I wasn't sure that your info was right so I called MA Division of Marine Fisheries.

Very interesting... I know I've discussed it with both RI and NY boats, but I've never actually discussed it with MA boats. I assumed when hearing charters advertised as "lobster dives" it was the same sort of thing as RI and NY. I never really looked into it because I've not needed to in MA.

I don't want anyone to get pinched and I'm sure that you were mislead by the Captain. I'd hate to see anyone get fined or lose gear.

Definately... thanks for checking up on me.

do the mass laws require one to have a license to take scallops also?? I was asked to go on a scallop dive and was told I didn't need a scallop license??? anyone know?

buck

Back
Top Bottom