hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paintsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i have no clue what to do
i dont have an octo on my main setup but use a intergrated inflator(Zeagle Octo+)
i would like a longer hose on my primary regulator for 2 reasons
easyer to share air, and more streamlined. 7 ft seems too long for me and i would like to set this up without tucking into the belt(Zeagle Ranger)
i was thinking that a 5 foot hose coming over on my right, under my right arm, across my chest, under my left arm, around my neck, and into my mouth would work. i might be wrong so please feel free to comment on that.

i would also like my pony bottle's reg to be on a necklace.
the pony would be mounted upsidedown and now i cant decide how long of a hose and how to route it. which should be on top and why?
the pony would be on a bracket allowing it to be released for a possible hand off. but if i put it over the primary hose it would interfere with standard air sharing.

please help me out and if you need any more info just ask.

thank you in advanced

paintsnow:
i was thinking that a 5 foot hose coming over on my right, under my right arm, across my chest, under my left arm, around my neck, and into my mouth would work. i might be wrong so please feel free to comment on that.

i think it would work better if you route the hose under your right arm, across your chest, over the back of your neck, and into your mouth.

you can tuck the excess hose into your belt or cummerbund.

no advice on the pony, other than i don't use them.

H2Andy:
i think it would work better if you route the hose under your right arm, across your chest, over the back of your neck, and into your mouth.

you can tuck the excess hose into your belt or cummerbund.

no advice on the pony, other than i don't use them.

Ditto.

As said the 5' hose goes under right arm, across chest then behind the neck. No matter how small you are, there should not be much excess to tuck anywhere.
If you are not using a necklace ( you said you were using an Octo+), the 5' works fine.
I found the 5' hose interfered with my safe 2nd when I wear it on a necklace. No problem with my SS1. The 5' hose also interfered with anything on my right chest D ring. The 7' would not conflict because when hooked on the right hip, it comes up at your mid section and does not cross the chest d ring nor the 2nd on the necklace.
Another option is to use a 40" hose (typical octo length) with a swivel passed under the right arm to your mouth.

I used an SS1 octo/inflator with a 5' hose for the past year. It was routed as a couple have already descibed, under right arm, over left shoulder and around the back of the head. Mine didn't really interfere with my left d-ring because it was above it by the time it got to my left shoulder.

Just reconfigured to use a more standard setup with regular length hoses. Think I'll use this for a year and see which I like better.

i understand how to route the main hose and i would like to keep it 5 ft for air shares but for me the most important thing is for it not to interfere with the pony reg. which would be on a necklace.
how do i go about doing that?

Why do you need a pony?

I'm getting a headache trying to figure out your rig in my head... Why don't you just go with a standard configuration? Your setup sounds real confusing...

its quite simple
i have an intergrated inflator,
will soon have my primary reg on a 5 ft hose.
im case of a need to share air that gets donated i switch to the intergrated inflator.
in addition to that a pony mounted upside down on the left side of my tank with a bungied reg

now im trying to figure out the hose routing for the primary and pony regs so they dont conflict.
for example if i want to hand off my pony the hose cant be under the hose for the primary. and if i want to donate the primary it cant be under the pony hose.
does that help at all?

Here is a link to a page with great photo's of the Dir/Hogarthian hose routing with a single tank and 7' hose. The only difference for a 5' hose is that it wraps up under your right armpit instead of looping down under the canister light or pouch on the right hand hip before crossing your torso and wrapping around your neck.

http://www.sfdj.com/fall/beyond2.html

As for pony bottles - I like to use a large one (40cf) and rig it as a stage as per the following page.

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/reg_config_stages.html

Please note: I'm not a GUE diver, It's just that I was taught to rig a stage like this and I see the merit of this layout. As for the first link it's got the best photo's I could find for illustrating 7' long hose routing. I don't advocate nor disparage the GUE system, but the hose layouts are well thought out and consistant.

Back
Top Bottom