Best DSLR Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I got some Christmas money :D and I'm looking to buy a new DSLR camera that would also make an excellent underwater camera with an Ikelite Housing. So far I've looked at...Nikon D200..Pentax K10D...Olympus E-330 and Sony A-100
Does anyone have an opinnion on these models or any other DSLR that would also double as a good underwater camera? Thanks
Joe

ps..Planning on using my new camera on a trip to the Galapagos Islands in March. Santa was really good to me this year!

Of those that you listed only the the D200 and the E330 have a varity of available housing options. The Canon 30D is another option if you don't have any lenses.

As a Nikon type guy, the D200 or the D80 would be great options with a wide variety of std and DX lens options (60mm and 12-24 would be your best options to start).

That said the Galapagos is not the place to try out a new camera, so I would suggest that you either plan "practice" trip first or stick with your existing rig underwater.

If you provided more long term camera goals and budget, a more defined recommendation could be provided.

Santa must have been really good to you. Care to share? :)

Don't bother with the Pentax -- no housings available. Nikon or Canon is the way to go. Keep in mind that you WILL need a strobe or 2, so budget that accordingly.

For underwater i would go with the Nikon D80 and the Ikelite housing.

That way you save some money to buy yourself a 60mm lens over the cost of the D200, you really don't gain that much from buying a D200 over a D80, especially underwater

Presently I have been using the Sea&Sea DX8000G but now I would like to upgrade to a DSLR model for more creative photography and I think that I'm leaning towards the Nikon D80 and the Sea&Sea DX-D80 housing and YS-90 strobes. Although, I like the live view of the Oly E-330. I still haven't researched the Canon line. Any comments will be appreciated. Santa was really good to me so I'm not restricted by a budget. Thanks for the quick and informative replies.
Joe
ps...I think Santa made a mistake because I really haven't been that good this year ;-)

Hey Mike, that was a quick reply. I think we posted at the same time. I checked out where you work and I'm jealous. You work in paradise!!! I work in Connecticut which is very far from paradise :) Anyway, my work enables me to travel to paradise now and then so I guess I can't really complain. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I will go with the D80 but I'm not sure about the housing. Ikelite or Sea&Sea??? Thanks
Joe

I haven't put my E330 underwater yet, but I think the LiveView will be incredibly usefull underwater where being carefull not to disturb the environment around you is very important. Search around a bit and you'll see a handfull of other SB photographer's using it with great success.

I would preffer the D200 for surface specific use, but for UW, the LiveView really seems helpfull.

I can only speak about the D200 as I own one and use it topside professionally. It is a great camera even though my preference is use my D2X's.

I would like follow Mikes advice about going with the D80 for underwater use. The one thing that I will speak of is durability between the different models. The more money you spend ie... D2x versus D200 or D200 versus D80 the greater your topside durability will be. A camera in a housing isn't going to go through the same abuse that a surface shooter like myself will make it suffer through.

I only bring the latter point up, because, if you are going to do a lot of topside shooting, then you might consider getting the D200.

OEX makes a good point - I love the D200 for topside use. It's got a great feel to it with the metal weather resistant body. It's been accidentally splashed a couple of times without issue. There are some differences, but other than that, it has the same sensor and takes the same quality images. You can't go wrong with the D80. But there are a few differences worth noting. It's going to be a bit more difficult switching between AF-S, AF-C, M modes, as it is a button on the D80 requiring the use of a dial at the same time, but a switch on the D200. I do change this sometimes when shooting macro. As well, you're going to be missing information in the viewfinder of the D80 that you would normally see in the D200. So unless this is a big issue, the D80 will be just fine.

I love my D80, it has most of the functionality of the D200.

Fantasea Line will have a D80 housing out the end of the month that has some nice innovations. For instance the controls that need to be pushed and then adjust with the control dials will be on a push-lock sort of function.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom