Diving After Cervical Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wondering how soon someone can return to diving after having cervical fusion.

My case:
Anterior fusion of C3 and C4. Donor bone with titanium plate. Surgeon says I can resume full activities 6 weeks post op.

yikes... that sounds mighty painful ...

you'll probably be able to dive before you can walk around with your tank(s) on

if he says full activities 6 weeks post op, i'd try diving then, but would wear my tank only in the water, and use a cart to move it around. see how that goes.

then limit the time you are on your feet with tanks on, and the distance you need to walk to the water.

my back (minor L1 vertebrae break) could handle twin tanks after about two months, but it did hurt some, and it hurt for a few days after the diving

I'm supposed to have that done only it would involve 3 vertrebre...I'm too scared to have the surgury...figure numb legs is a lot safer for now

I had a partial laminotomy (C4-C5) last winter and I started diving 3-4 months post-op.

G2 Sports Therapy by Northgate (Seattle) is highly recommended to get you back on your fins.

I'm 12 days post op now. There was no pain other than a sore throat from where my trachea was pushed to Montreal.:D Tylenol for three days and I was fine.

I'm sorry to hear your symptoms Cudachaser. I suffered paralysis from the neck down after an accident six weeks ago. Fusion was the only way to stabilize my spine to prevent it from happening again and being permanent. I have been advised that I should entertain getting an artificial disk for issues in C5 & C6 down the road.

Not sure if this applies to you or not. My understanding is that there is a new artificial disk being created that is up for FDA approval. It is being done by my surgeon Jens Chapman and Dr. Paul A. Anderson. Dr Chapman is in Seattle and Dr. Anderson is Madison WI. Both worked together until recently at the University of Washington.

When one is clear to exercise as was before surgery, generally one can dive. This requires full healing of the incision and stability of the cervical spine.

Am I wrong to believe that stability is achieved by the titanium plate and screws versus the actual healing of the donor bone to my vertebrae?

Recovery periods in the 4-6 week range are ideal and vary, a lot depends on what was done in the repair. Only the surgeon can give the best estimate. Healing includes scar tissue and stability of the corrective action. For example, while true a prosthesis offers firmer support, it must be held in place by screws, wires, plates, sutures etc., and how they adhere factor in the overall strength of the repair. As healing progresses, scar tissue can form improperly, worsening pain. Therefore, the rate of recovery during the 6 weeks determines the future course. A diver should not require cervical collar, rehab, pain medications or have limited lifting restrictions.

I had a L-4 fusion on Dec 5th. The Doc says he will clear me for just about everything by the end of March. When I asked him about tanks and diving, he told me to stay out till late May just to make sure there will be no DECO problems. It turns out he does a good bit of diving himself.

Perhaps you should keep the depths and time light, it realy takes about 1 year for a fusion to heal fully and a Bouble around the spinal coulmn is not a good thing.

Thanks OE2X, I can live with the syptoms I have now...minor inconvience as long as it doesn't get much worse

Back
Top Bottom