Not sociable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime:
Greg is correct about DiveVets. I am a very anti-social animal. I've been diving Marineland since 1987, about half of my 250+ dives there being solo. The DiveVets divers began showing up on Sunday mornings there a couple years ago and I have met many wonderful people from their group. Greg is one of the best. He loves to take newer divers and show them the ropes. All you have to do is show up at 8:eek:o and there will always be someone willing to take you along on a dive.

Really? Good to know, didn't see this on their website.

Hi Bookymad,
One more thing to get more comfortable with beach dive try to get in on a L.A. County 3R's class. It's very informative & it gets yoiu more confident with beach dives.

Happy Diving
John

xSandman3, I am planning to take AOW in January. However, as per se in my browsing of this board, I've come across various opinions that it's a good idea to have around 20ish dives before taking AOW class. Hence why I wanted more...besides, do I really need a reason for why I want do dive more?????????? Once addicted, it's really difficult to tear yourself away from it.

tonka97, good to know that I may be more in the norm than originally thought. :blinking:

MaxBottomtime, it does sound interesting to dive with DiveVets......but I don't know. I'm really inexperienced right now. I average around 40ish minutes in shallow depths, and obviously the deeper I go the shorter my trips are. Won't you guys get all bugged having such a newbie diver that will cut into your diving trips? And you guys do night deep dives. That's a combo I'm not sure I can handle at this point. I can do a night shallow dive. Or I can do a daytime deep dive. But not together, I think. Plus, trust me, you'll hate having me along on a shore dive.

JMdiver, I've heard of L.A. County's classes. They do have a great reputation. Maybe I'll poke around it eventually. Right now, I'm going to be taking my AOW class with my BOW instructor. She's great, and I'm really comfortable with her....which is pretty much a rarity with me.

I really am quite torn as what to do. Boat dives are expensive. But I want to go back diving! I miss it so much. :huh:

bookymad,
why dont you try laguna, beach entry is easy in most places. I dont think most people would rather beach dive than boat dive but hey it's cheaper. I sometimes dive with south coast divers and all they do is meet up, dive, and leave. you can be as social as you want or be like Me and stand in back smiling and humming to myself. they only go as fast as the slowest person and are happy to do so. Personally i like just having one other buddy, im not a huge fan of large dive groups.
I know what you mean about air consumption, i suck up air like it's going out of style. so i tend to want to dive with people who do the same.
You should check out their website........ southcoastdivers.com
as for finding a dive buddy, which i suspect that's what you want, this is a good board to do so, just put out the message.
You can dive with me and my buddy tomorrow morning if you wish, and if you want, we wont even look at you or talk to you......j/k.
kiet

Bookymad... join us on the monthly Mo2vation boat dives. You will always be accepted
and we won't force you to talk much. I'll second the beach dives with www.southcoastdivers.com or other such groups already mentioned. Could be small or big depends who shows up and nobody is expected to socialize before or afther...always an option. And all these groups have many wonderfull people willing to work with newbees. Dive safe and enjoy!

Many of the DiveVets usually dive the 120 reef at Marineland. Average depth is 20 feet with 35 being the deepest. The main reef can get as deep as 70 feet but most dive from 10-55. My fiance only had a couple of dives when DiveVets took her under their wings. It's not really a dive club. More of a bunch of divers who get together 2-3 times a week to dive.

This is crazy . The last time i posted was to bookymad. Now 3 months later we meet again. I have to dive with you now .seams odd you would remember me posting that to you .

Hi Booky,

I'm definitely not the anti-social type, but I do pretty much dive and go home. Mainly beach dives around palos verdes tho cuz boats can get pricey. I dive about 4 or 5 times a month and can always use another buddy. We don't have to be friends to be buddies, lol.

BioNerd, thanks for your kind offer for the dive tomorrow. As for not looking at me or talking to me.......ha ha ha. :yippie17: I'm not that bad! As it is too late for me to rent stuff for tomorrow, a rain check for a future dive? That's if you don't mind that I'm really inexperienced. I know you said that you're an air hog, still it can bother people....for buddy diving. Since the philosophy is for both divers to ascend based on the one who finished earlier, ja?

dwaters, I was just considering the Mo2vation boat dive today earlier. I'll consider it eventually...but thank you for your offer. Seems the one in January is already sold out so, down the road maybe.

MaxBottomtime, the stats sounds manageable for a newbie like me. Shallow dives galore!

JUST JOSHIN', thanks for your kind offer. I've never dove around palos verdes, nor around laguna. Rain check for a future dive eventually? As for not being friends, perfect! :D j/k!

divercooke, I wish I could claim the credit for remembering your last post. If I had memory that great, I would have so excelled in school! :dork:As it is, I looked at your posting history and saw that your last posting was to my OW dive posting. That's how I knew. I've already made myself sound odd enough by my anti-socialness (is this even a word?). No more oddness attributed to me, please! As for diving with me, well I must make you sign a disclaimer that you cannot complain! I really am quite awful!!!! So, you're taking an hefty risk diving with me. :D I don't know....I might show up on Wednesday. Or not. Just so you know, I'm really not that lady who freaked out. So, if you're expecting a "pretty gal" :cute:, I'm the last thing that would even remotely fit that description. :D

For all those who made offers of diving with me, it's diver beware! I'm short. Terrible with waves. Take forever to put on my fins, and keep in mind that this is with spring straps and I'm still awful on putting them on! Oh, did I mention, I'm a horrible swimmer? Really horrible! I kid you not. Ok, not to the point that I'll drown. I know how to keep myself afloat, thanks very much and it's impossible to drown in a wetsuit. But, even with that, I am still awful! Oh, and I'm also an air hog. And I'm slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. I've listed all my worst attributes, I'm sure there's more but for now it's a start. :approve_2

remember it is extreemly difficult to have an uncomfortable conversation with somebody when you are 40' underwater with a reg in your face!

Back
Top Bottom