OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharky1948:
Sorry....is j/k an acronym for joke? New one on me!

just kidding I think, but who knows, I could be wrong :wink:

H2Andy:
is this troll day?

it's not troll day, is it? if it is, i want my discount, damn it!

:wink:
Please be nice now.... The last thread on this got a little HOT! :D

BTW, thanks for the compliment in the other thread about the artifact pics...

I'll take the Troll Bait.

Don't donate Primary Regulator????? Have you ever looked at how many AIR2 style alternates there are on the typical dive boat? You can suck off the other person't chest if you want to. Me? I'm going for the primary if everything comes up snake eyes and I need gas.

Andy, if I can't hold them down and can get free, I'm letting them go. Your point is well taken that an ascent like this is not going to lead to serious injury or death but why take a chance? You can always follow them up slowly.

If it was my brother or girlfriend I would stay with them but most of the time I dive with strangers.

Sometimes you don't have a choice what reg to donate.

wedivebc:
That is why I prefer to carry a redundant cylinder that I can unclip if OOA buddy was dragging me to surface.

lol

yeah, like that's going to work in the three-four seconds you're going to have in an actual ooa/panicked buddy.....lol.

Of course you're doing all that unclipping while he's pulling everything tight and you controlling your own buoyancy in that short period of time. lol

If that ain't the best way to have two people hog-tied on the surface I don't know what is.

I'd like to see you pull that off even once in a real situation.

Scary stuff dude.

I luv stupi-board.

Nemrod:
This is exactly why the seven foot long hose is WRONG. The first thing in life saving is controlling the person and establishing that control by exuding confidence and CONTROL is crucial. The OOA buddy is a VICTIM and they may panic and having them run out to the end of a seven foot long hose and drag you helplessly behind is the biggest reason the DIR approach is wrong for open water. You cannot control the victim, you cannot insure physical contact with them, you cannot keep them close enough for eye contact, if they break loose and run out to the end of the hose your just going along for a ride unless you yank the regulator away from them in which case they may well be injured or worse. The whole point of assisting the buddy or OOA diver is to make a safe ascent best done by controlling the situation and close contact with the OOA diver, not possible if they are seven feet away.
N, militantly non-dir

Can you please buy me a new keyboard and monitor? I just spit orange soda all over it....

Just because you *have* a long hose, doesn't mean you *must* be 7 ft apart.

To answer the original question, I would try to get behind the person so I can control their BC. But, if they still insist on taking a rocketship ride up, they aren't going to take me with them.

Nemrod:
Giving the OOA diver YOUR regulator (primary) is another falacy being promoted in the dive community these days and mostly only here on scubaDIRboard.com. Again, from life saving protocal, why endanger two lives? Hand the OOA diver your alternate or your pony but NOT the regulator in your mouth. Should it turn out that your alternate is non functional (why would that be?) then that is when you should know how to buddy breath. All these drills I keep hearing about with all these hoses and donating your primary, how many include buddy breathing drills?

N, there is a right way but it ain't that way

You're funny...

Nemrod:
This is exactly why the seven foot long hose is WRONG.

You're missing the point:

With a seven foot hose your panicked OOA buddy can surface but you can still do a "shallow stop" at seven feet for three minutes!

:)

Back
Top Bottom