Brand New Divemaster, need a suggestion as to a BC for work and play!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not a big BC fan but if I had to use a BC, I would use the Seaquest Balance or the Black Diamond....

Mafiaman:
Your spoon analogy over simplifies things a bit, much like asking "what type of vehicle should I use to cross the dessert" and your reply would be, drive a truck.
Honestly, it depends on the type of dessert. For cookies, just about anything would work, as you don't really lose much traction. For something like gelato or ice cream, depending on quantity, you might need something with a lockable differential or traction control. If you're crossing large wedding cakes, some type of high-clearance 4x4 is probably in order.

I'm likely to go for DM next year when my LDS runs another class, and I'll have to have the mine-or-yours BC conversation sometime around then. Frankly, if I have to use my old BC in the pool, it'd probably do it some good (at least sanitizing it somewhat). :wink:

ClayJar:
Honestly, it depends on the type of dessert. For cookies, just about anything would work, as you don't really lose much traction. For something like gelato or ice cream, depending on quantity, you might need something with a lockable differential or traction control. If you're crossing large wedding cakes, some type of high-clearance 4x4 is probably in order.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Great stuff guys thanks for all the info. Im going to have a look at the probe today. So whats the big controversy over the BP/w, or should i look elsewhere on the boards to find out about this? Oh and Terra you were quick to slam me on the myspace scuba boards when i asked about the HUB. Being a new divemaster i think i should be free to explore all the possibilities, no? (=

Scuba-Jay

Scuba-Jay:
Great stuff guys thanks for all the info.
No problem. I hope some of it helps.
Scuba-Jay:
So whats the big controversy over the BP/w
Basicly, there are a lot of divers on the board (myself included) who have decided that they strongly prefer to use a backplate and wing BC setup instead of a more commonly available jacket or back inflate BC, even for "recreational" diving. There are other folks who feel that there is way too much talk about BP/W on the board, and that the constant mention of this setup is squelching discussion of other configurations.
Scuba-Jay:
should i look elsewhere on the boards to find out about this?
If you're interested in BP/W, check out the Hogarthian diving and BC forums.
If you're interested in the controversy, check out this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=169499&highlight=subforum

My spelling could use some help, and with out spell checker big words would be out of the question.

I am after all just a humble pirate.
Iuventus stultorum magister

Mafiaman:
What manufacturer and Model BP/w do you recommend? And what sort of cost range would it be in?
Some links to compare models would be groovy.
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?sub...cs&link=backplate_std&category=Heavy Duty BCs from Zeagle , http://www.aqualung.com/products/wtx_series.html with a http://www.aqualung.com/products/wtx3_cell.html wing , or a http://www.diverite.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=BC1063 http://www.diverite.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=BC2116 and http://www.diverite.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=BC2077 with one of these , just make sure you have them fit it without the pull dump and a shorter inflater hose , and last OMS . Just about any dive center will carry at least one of these products. These are all very streamlined , simple and of course profesional.

terrasmak:
just make sure you have them fit it without the pull dump and a shorter inflater hose , and last OMS . Just about any dive center will carry at least one of these products. These are all very streamlined , simple and of course profesional.

Very nice stuff! So it is safe to say that BP/W = DIY and expensive.
also wouldn't you want to add a weight system, utility belt, a number of D rings, and some utility pouches? (whether you wear them on your belt wrist or calf, you still should have some) Keeping in mind that as a DM whether you are guiding, assisting an instructor, or teaching a Discover scuba type class, you will be climbing in and out of this stuff often while divers watch you with learning eyes in their jacket BCD's.

Any of the equipment you listed above is awesome stuff, but maybe not the best to be used in DM environment.(non-cave, tech or other specialty environment). As the OP was asking about.

Mafiaman:
Very nice stuff! So it is safe to say that BP/W = DIY and expensive.
BCs can be expensive, but they aren't necessarily so. It's as true for jackets as it is for back inflates or BP/Ws. My Seaquest BC was $200, my DiveRite Transpac was $400, my first BP & Harness was $70 and I already had a compatable wing from the transpac. When I decided I didn't really care for that wing, I got a Halcyon Pioneer wing in like new condition for $200, and found a good STA for $40. When I got twin steel 100s, I wanted a dedicated rig for them, so I got an aluminium BP for under $50, and bought an OxyCheq doubles wing for $250. I have a roll of webbing I got cheap on eBay, and my 20 year accumulated "save-a-dive" collection has so many bolt snaps, buckles, triglides, and d-rings in it that I don't even notice the harness as an expense anymore.

In my experience, BP/W BCs are comparably priced with other BCs. As always, you can find better deals on gear if you shop around.

I think of DIY as meaning "I made it myself". BP/W is not that, although it does give the user a lot of options for configuring things the way they want.
Mafiaman:
also wouldn't you want to add a weight system, utility belt, a number of D rings, and some utility pouches?
You might want some of that. I have 3 D-rings on mine and a pocket on my drysuit. So far, that's been adequate for all my needs. I don't need a "weight system" with mine. I'm basicly neutral wearing my doubles rig, and only carry a few pounds with a single. I don't mind having a couple of weights on a belt.
Mafiaman:
Keeping in mind that as a DM whether you are guiding, assisting an instructor, or teaching a Discover scuba type class, you will be climbing in and out of this stuff often while divers watch you with learning eyes in their jacket BCD's.
In my experience, it's not at all hard to get in and out of a BP/W. Why would it be a problem if people watch, so long as the organization you're DMing for doesn't mind you using that gear?
Mafiaman:
Any of the equipment you listed above is awesome stuff, but maybe not the best to be used in DM environment.(non-cave, tech or other specialty environment). As the OP was asking about.
I'm not sure I see the downside to using it. 90% of my diving is non-technical, and I still prefer to use BP/W for ALL of my dives.

I would talk to you instructor first ....Some instructors dont always want the DMs in BP/w because they can look intimidating for new students. On the last dive it might be OK....but at the beginning, they might not like you to wear it. Also, if your a DM and want to be an instructor, a BP/W, in my opinion is not what you want to wear... You will want a Jacket style BC for instructing due to the extra weight, constantly going up and down, being on the surface alot, big pockets.....etc. I honestly havent meet a single instructor that uses a BP/W unless they are teaching a tech class or similar.......Anyone know someone that uses one for OW teaching?? Just curious.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom