diving the breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
ok, first of all, I have been to the Monterey Breakwater so many times that I'd almost (but not quite) not dive than go there again, so when they said we were going there during the underwater photo class I just finished, we all groaned. However, it was the best day I have ever had there: the vis was 25-30 feet. it was fairly un-crowded, especailly it being a sunday. We got some great pictures that I will post if my cd-rom starts to work, and I had a lot of fun. On a good day that is a spectacular dive site.

scuberd once bubbled...
ok, first of all, I have been to the Monterey Breakwater so many times that I'd almost (but not quite) not dive than go there again, so when they said we were going there during the underwater photo class I just finished, we all groaned. However, it was the best day I have ever had there: the vis was 25-30 feet. it was fairly un-crowded, especailly it being a sunday. We got some great pictures that I will post if my cd-rom starts to work, and I had a lot of fun. On a good day that is a spectacular dive site.

I know what you mean.Not to long ago me and my buddy dove there and we had 50-60 ft of vis.It was the first time i had dove at breakwater with more than 20ft of vis.I was amazed at how wonderful breakwater really is when you can see beyond 20ft.I never realized there were so many fish,mostly because i could actually see them.To bad days like that are very few but when it is its to good to pass up.

I take half of my openwater classes there, and it is like a milkshake most of the time, lol. If you do get a nice day it is quite a great place to dive. There are some nice things to see there, and night dives are almost always great.

Since not everyone certified in NorCal or might be planning on a visit and be looking for a dive site, I thought I would add my two bits to this thread.

First, over on the Monestary thread Scubaroo has great photo link (thanks for the link Scubaroo, it really does rock). I just moved up the coast a bit and here is a great shot of the breakwater.

Courtesy of www.californiacoastline.org

Monterey Breakwater

As you can see from this pic, there is a nice lawn to stage your gear, great parking ($1/hr in close, and $0.75/hr in the outer lot). We were there on 2/22/03 and there was a moble fill rig set up charging $5 a fill right by the stairs on the left.

This is definately a beginner dive site, and I am sure it can be very crowded, but it is a great spot for new divers (or those that have been away from diving for a while), or even folks not overly familiar with California diving to "get their feet wet".

Hope this is of some help to someone.
rjense

I got a question for you guys....

What kind of exposure suits are you wearing these days?

I've never tried local diving (just call me a C.A.D.) -- and I'm starting to think about it... but ... geez I'm not sure I can cope with the cold.

Thanks in advance.

Liz

Two layer 6.5mm or 7mm wetsuits, 7mm semidry, or drysuits is the norm in Monterey. Some people wear just a 6.5mm or 7mm wetsuit.

ladycute1 once bubbled...
I got a question for you guys....

What kind of exposure suits are you wearing these days?

I've never tried local diving (just call me a C.A.D.) -- and I'm starting to think about it... but ... geez I'm not sure I can cope with the cold.

Thanks in advance.

Liz

Nothing like a drysuit to fight off that cold water especially during your dry surface interval.I'll be diving monterey saturday.It seems like forever since i have been diving.I cant wait.:D

lal7176 once bubbled...

Nothing like a drysuit to fight off that cold water especially during your dry surface interval.I'll be diving monterey saturday.It seems like forever since i have been diving.I cant wait.:D
I'll be on the Cypress Sea Sat morning for 3 tanks - where are you diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom