Gear Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
What's the ballpark buoyancy of your chosen dble 108 set-up full of gas, plus 1 full ALU80 and 1 full ALU40.
I'm going to assume those 108 will be filled with air....right?

Scuba_Steve:
you got it.
Thought so :D

Alrighty from where I went looking tank wis eand form advice the aluminums filled isnt going to amount to much buoyancy wise, until they positive as at the end.
If filled to spec the 108LP's are about 8lbnegative each making 16lbs, about 6lbs for a steel BP putting me at 22 and about 2 lbs or so for manifold and bands putting me at 24lbs?

So wing wise I talked to a couple shops that carry more of a tech related line, and looked into OMS and DiveRight wings without the compression bands by preference and found OMS 45 and 65lb wings, and the Dive Right 45, 51 and 59lb wings.

So any suggestions wing sizing wise would be appreciated, 45 seems like it would be more than enough based on the 24lb- # I came up with for full tanks, but if tanks happened to be overfilled somewhat by a shop would the 45 cut it? or would the 51 leave me more room for growth and changes over time. At first thought it seems the 59 and 65 are far to big for me, but I am sure there are other factors that I am not considering that you guys will be able to englighten me too, thanks.

Not sure what that was meant to mean Jeff, hard to tell attitude without seeing someone in front of you
I'm going to assume those 108 will be filled with air....right?
but for while I am getting started with this setup and becoming comfortable with doubles and a bp/w for the next several months yes it will be air.

Can light? Reel? regulators? Take everything that's attached to the BC in consideration. If your rig isn't attached to you in the water, will it be able to float?

Well no canlight at the moment, and my other light is very slightly negative, my reels consist of one primary reel with a lift bag at the moment for doing stops.
I'm looking at the poseidon line of regs at the moment, not sure how to determine what sort of negative buoyancy I'm going to be talking about for those, is there any magic # or average negative buyoancy for most regs? Thanks again.

I believe he was asking about air since a trimix mixture will be much lighter.

cool, yea trimix is a bit of a ways away, 5months or so, so if necessary I would be willing to change the wing based on that at that time, but for now it will be air.

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking at poseidon's (other than, perhaps, a distaste for the DIR crowd)? The upstream valve and non-standard fittings seem like big turn-offs for me.

I haven't done out the math, but the 80lb wing seems whacked to me too. These articles are well-written and apropos (just pretend that they were written by a non-GUE instructor if you must):

http://baue.org/faq/wing_size.html
http://baue.org/faq/dynamic_instability.html

Cheekymonkey:
Well no canlight at the moment, and my other light is very slightly negative, my reels consist of one primary reel with a lift bag at the moment for doing stops.
I'm looking at the poseidon line of regs at the moment, not sure how to determine what sort of negative buoyancy I'm going to be talking about for those, is there any magic # or average negative buyoancy for most regs? Thanks again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom