Specialty Courses - not the usual question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did say "tend to be" :)

I know a few that have written oxygen provider ones and so on.

I've seen an Underwater Pumpkin Carving distinctive specialty. That's not regional either. Do a search here on SB and you'll find that someone created an Underwater Wedding distinctive specialty. Of course that thread came with all of the UW Divorce jokes and such. :)

Most of the agencies allow the instructor to submit a specialty. A buddy of mine teaches Recreational Triox throught TDI as an instructor authored specialty.

NWGratefulDiver:
Not necessarily ... I have been encouraged by a couple of course directors to submit my gas management material for a specialty class.

There's nothing local about that topic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Then again, there's nothing in that gas mangement class that should already be in a basic outline in mandatory classes.

Maybe they need to encourage their agency to include it there instead.

Scuba_Steve:
Then again, there's nothing in that gas mangement class that should already be in a basic outline in mandatory classes.

And here we go again...

:shakehead

lol, naw, just forgot the smiley this time......carry on as if I wasn't here :D

I myself have created two distinctive specialities.

!. Full face mask use. PADI do not have a speciality for this but full face masks are in general usage.

2. Research. Although PADI do have a research spec, mine is developed specifically for students of marine ecology etc which is therefore far more intense than the PADI version.

I am currently creating another couple, like SMB use. As this is a local convention there is no requirement to be taught this through a standard course and twin tank use for those who wish to use twins but do not want to go the techhi route.

So in short, they are created by instructors to teach outside the PADI mainstream but they do have to be approved by PADI. PADI thoroughly check out the distinctive and ensure that they do not negate good diving practice and will not encourage liability issues.

Hope this helps

A dive shop in my area offers the Quarry Diver specialty course.

Ken

Scuba_Steve:

Actually, I agree with you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I heard they retired the "Snorkel Purge" specialty course.

Notso_Ken:
A dive shop in my area offers the Quarry Diver specialty course.

You're kidding me, right? Here in Ohio, I always figured that how do safely dive in a quarry (pretty much the local dive environment for new divers) would of been covered in the Open Water class. Who knew?!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom