Diving and alcohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

havnmonkey:
I don't think it is worth the risk... Why must someone feel compelled to have a drink? Dude, you can do w/out one for a day.

My feeling is that Alcohol, even a little can mess with your body chemistry. It is recognized (and really it is) as a toxin. Your body wants to get rid of it. Mix that with different pressures and levels of fatigue; I just don't wanna get bent.
From someone who works at a night club with, Im guessing little dive time and no background.....OK...Im going away now, another MOF thread here. It happens, it aint a good thing but it is a reality of life.:deadhorse:

beautybelow:
Just out of curiousity, what are your views on drinking one or two beers between or before diving. I know what my opinion is, but I have to deal with this more than I would have guessed. I would not do it nor recommend it.

Alcohol dehydrates you. Dehydration is the number one factor predisposing DCS.

I wouldn't do it, but then again I'm not much of a drinker. Maybe a beer or two the night before and then lots of water (as someone else mentioned).

Better to err on the side of caution.

TOM

You shouldn't mix alcohol and motion sickness medication if you take any. Remember meclizine HCl (a.k.a. Bonine) is good for up to 24 hours. Alcohol leads to dehydration so it probably isn't a good idea after diving in terms of DCS but I don't know how much study has been done on it. It's not a good idea before diving for obvious reasons.

I'm assuming you are a dive boat operator at a resort of some capacity. That would sure put you in a bad position, to have to tell a guest that had been drinking, that they couldn't dive that day. But their saftey and your liability are on the line.

Diving is great by itself. No booze needed. After the dives.......different story.:wink:

Hopefully a level headed discussion may help to educate some new divers who are planning on vacation diving. It is a bit different than talking about wearing your mask on your forehead, I think. A surprising number of people aren't aware that it could be a risk.

Let me start by saying that I would never drink then dive. That's just me. Just to play devils advocate, wouldn't a couple of cups of coffee in the morning be just as bad as drinking a bottle of beer as far as dehydration goes?

Drinks should be enjoyed at the end of the day after all of the dives have been done. Go out and have a good time just make sure that your head is right before you dive again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom