Gear Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
Anything but DIR, even if I don't know why.
Whoa now, he told us why--he doesn't want the label.

Cheekymonkey:
its just that I like to be able to integrate all ideas that I like together rather than labeling myself.

Ah OK I missed it.

He needs a Padi DSAT course then if that's how he wants to do it.

They are pretty keen on personal preference from what I have seen from the material.

My read it that he'd would like enough information so that he's comfortable drawing his own conclusions about courses, instuctors and gear. His attitude is a refreshing change from all the "that's what my instructor said," or "the Gods of DIR decreed" or "y'all die if yah do dat!" that we usually read here. Please help the poor sod out.

I think what he needs to do is talk to his instructor, tell him straight away there's no possible chance for him to be ready for a deco course, and then list all the reason why this is so.

Then he and his instructor need to sort all this out, either on an intro to tech style course or some other simliar 'baby steps' program. Either way it's required and will cost time and money.

After getting a reasonable gear configuration and a little knowledge of all those valves back there and what they're doing, get some surpervised dives to help with the inwater steps.

Only after that, plus possibly a fair amount more experience dives with doubles would he possibly be ready for such a course.

You have to learn from somebody, and drawing conclusion based on your own mental wanderings is quite a pointless waste of time. There's little sense or need to remake the wheel at his stage in the game. He needs professional hands on help, and it isn't going to happen in cyber space. It's just not that kind of sport.

He's doesn't know enough to make a comfortable decision, what would he know? Well, ignorantly comfortable maybe, but reasonable and wise? I wouldn't bet on it myself.

That's about all the help in cyber space I can give him. :wink:

Scuba_Steve:
I think what he needs to do is talk to his instructor, tell him straight away there's no possible chance for him to be ready for a deco course, and then list all the reason why this is so.

Then he and his instructor need to sort all this out, either on an intro to tech style course or some other simliar 'baby steps' program. Either way it's required and will cost time and money.

After getting a reasonable gear configuration and a little knowledge of all those valves back there and what they're doing, get some surpervised dives to help with the inwater steps.

Only after that, plus possibly a fair amount more experience dives with doubles would he possibly be ready for such a course.

You have to learn from somebody, and drawing conclusion based on your own mental wanderings is quite a pointless waste of time. There's little sense or need to remake the wheel at his stage in the game. He needs professional hands on help, and it isn't going to happen in cyber space. It's just not that kind of sport.

He's doesn't know enough to make a comfortable decision, what would he know? Well, ignorantly comfortable maybe, but reasonable and wise? I wouldn't bet on it myself.

That's about all the help in cyber space I can give him. :wink:
Actually I think he’s quite ready to take the next step. He’s just not sure exactly what that step is and is asking a lot of questions. He’s ingenuous enough to not be hiding behind a façade of knowing it all and he’s asking the kinds of questions that I wish I saw more folks ask before they signed up to start quaffing someone’s kool-aid. I’d love to see a course that would answer his questions and compare minimum hog and DIR (whole hog?) as well as independents, sidemounts, and Benjamin rigs. We ask would-be-tekies to take a shot in the dark and jump into one of those beds without knowing a damn thing about what’s waiting for them. Help him learn enough to make a good decision. I’ll spend a little time and try and post a compare and contrast later on. I agree that he needs as you say, “professional help.” But he needs some background to decide on just what flavor help.

Thalassamania:
My read it that he'd would like enough information so that he's comfortable drawing his own conclusions about courses, instuctors and gear.
They way I read it, is that he has made up his mind and is now fishing for confirmation. Since none of his choice are remotely DIR, he doesn't want to hear from the DIR camp.

I wish him the best on his class.

JeffG:
They way I read it, is that he has made up his mind and is now fishing for confirmation. Since none of his choice are remotely DIR, he doesn't want to hear from the DIR camp.

I wish him the best on his class.

Unfortunately this classic cart before the horse thing is quite common and I suspect you are entirely correct.

JeffG:
... he doesn't want to hear from the DIR camp.

No one does. Ha ha!

Seriously, take a good idea from any source.

I still laugh at the fact that some think DIR has anything to do with technical diving by itself. The DIR divers love that misunderstanding I'm sure.

"From the Andrea Doria to the flooded caves of....to the most boring 12' sandy bottom shore dives...see how this group does it"

--Matt

matt_unique:
No one does. Ha ha!

Seriously, take a good idea from any source.
Chicken or Egg problem. How does one know if its a good idea or not? (regardless of the source)

matt_unique:
I still laugh at the fact that some think DIR has anything to do with technical diving by itself. The DIR divers love that misunderstanding I'm sure.

"From the Andrea Doria to the flooded caves of....to the most boring 12' sandy bottom shore dives...see how this group does it"

--Matt
One day, you will have to let us know what you think DIR really is. I would be curious.

JeffG:
Chicken or Egg problem. How does one know if its a good idea or not? (regardless of the source)

One day, you will have to let us know what you think DIR really is. I would be curious.

Good ideas are evolutionary for the type and level of difficulty of the dives you are doing. One begins by researching a trusted source, an instructor with 8000 dives and deep technical experience for example. Then getting out there and diving to learn and practice what makes sense for you. When I initially learned about the advantages of the long hose I did the body wrap for example. After some experience I decided I did not like that setup. Felt cluttered and had more opportunity for snagging. I then found the alternative of bungie bands on the right tank. I prefer this method over the body wrap. Research, experience, evaluation, refinement to serve your needs and preferences, etc.

Rather than copy and paste the definition or post numerous links I will say this...Ha ha - if you say you don't agree with DIR to those who follow it, the canned answer is "well you must not know what it is". Becase that is of course the ONLY reason why someone would not subscribe :wink:

--Matt

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom